Generator repair

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Generator repair
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

I need some help ... I have reassembled my generator with new bearings , brushes , etc. ... and checked the windings for any shorts .... checked the armature .... but when bench testing it for motoring as I put 6 Volts to it the armature shaft freezes up..... you can not turn it buy hand .... no matter where I rotate the brush plate the armature shaft is locked up ...... HELP .... Joe Gallagher ..joeg48@hotmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 01:51 pm:

Did you connect the wires from the coils correctly. The MTFCA Electrical booklet says they must be crossed. If they are not crossed the magnetic fields are screwed up and it will not work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 02:48 pm:

Joe,

Am I wrong in thinking that the 3rd brush must be lifted to motor the generator? Forgive me if that's in error.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 03:42 pm:

Jerry you are correct, the third brush must be lifted off the commutator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 03:55 pm:

HI Guys .... Yes I did cross the coil wires and the 3rd brush is lifted ??? Joe

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration