Looking for Make and Year of this car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Looking for Make and Year of this car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 03:12 pm:

A friend is looking for the make and year of this car.

Thanks,
Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 03:15 pm:

1909 or 1910 REO two cylinder touring car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 03:54 pm:

1911 Illinois license plate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 05:26 pm:

There you go again...old cars and Ice Cream, if you look at the window behind the car it says Ice Cream Parlor on the window :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Dix on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 05:40 pm:

"09 or '10 Two cyl REO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

The little tike by the rear wheel had to stop rollerskating for the photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 07:46 pm:

That is a quite unusual photo! The car may be an ordinary common REO two cylinder, and a crowd gathered around could be for any number of reasons. But both a kid on roller-skates (on a dirt road??) and an Ice Cream Parlor in the same photo!? Very unusual.
The picture is of particular interest to me because at about that time, a young maiden who eventually became my wonderful grandmother had an Ice Cream Parlor in a small area that later became part of Los Angeles. Her father, who worked for one of the major railroads and owned and drove several very nice early cars over many years, wanted her to learn how to earn her own way for awhile. The parlor was sold off after she met the wonderful and hardworking young gentleman destined to become my grandfather (I have in the past posted pictures of him standing next to the huge Holt tractor that he and his dad owned and ran in the bean fields near what became part of L A). They were both two of the best, hardest working, and most loving, people I have ever known. Theirs was also one of the most perfect marriages I have ever known.
Out in storage, very carefully packed, are about a dozen of the original serving glasses that my grandmother kept when she sold the Ice Cream Parlor shortly before marrying my grandfather.

A wonderful picture!
Thank you for sharing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 12:42 am:

Note, all the females are wearing dresses. Such a sad state of affairs today, its a rarity to find even 1 female dressed like a lady.

Can't understand why they want to dress like a man, guess I'm just gettin'too old.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 06:44 am:

Thank you for the info. I believe this is a picture on Main St. in our small town. They tore down the buildings about 10-15 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 03:22 pm:

BCG, I went to high school 45-50 years after that photograph. If you look at pictures from my high school, all the girls are wearing either dresses or skirts and blouses. Not sure when school customs changed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 03:29 pm:

"They tore down the buildings about 10-15 years ago."

Let me guess - Tear down a town's history and heritage so that they can put up a 24-hour convenience market or a parking lot, right?

Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

"Not sure when school customs changed."

...About the time that such courses as American History, Civics, English, Speech, and Grammar and Composition classes were deemed "non-relevant" to the modern generations and were dropped from the school cirriculum. And aren't the past two or three generations the better for it? (Insert a sarcastic face here)
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 06:01 pm:

Marshall, you are correct, it was for a Familty Dollar store and parking lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

BCG and Dick L,
I am I think just a bit younger than either of you. Yet, when I was in High School in the liberal state of Califunny, the school's dress code required girls wear proper dresses. Girls were sometimes sent home if their dress was not "proper" enough, or even if it was the wrong color. Pants were forbidden for them. Things were relaxing already though, only a handful of boys ever wore a tie by then.
I remember, however, when the first girl at a major high school in the country was allowed to graduate with her fellow classmates even though "very" pregnant. It made the national news, and was just one year before I graduated High School in 1970. That next year? There was one "very" pregnant girl in our high school that went through the graduation with everybody else. Even though most of us had not seen her for about four months. The dress code was gone within a couple years. I recall that my younger sister didn't have such restrictions.
It took lawsuits to make some of those things happen. And, personally, politically, I do have mixed feelings about some of it. People should have reasonable choices. Women and girls should not be REQUIRED to wear dresses just because of their gender if they are personally uncomfortable that way. On the other hand, "anything goes" is just as bad if not worse than too much restriction in the rules or codes.
My opinion. And I think enough thread drift on this one for now.

And if Chris B finds my comments a bit over the edge? He has my permission to remove my post (as if he needed my permission?).

A wonderful photograph regardless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 11:57 pm:

My 1910 two cylinder model D touring is like the one in the picture. Very little differences between 09 & 10 for this model.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 01:18 am:

Les VN,
I love those REOs. They seem to be great cars for the two cylinder crowd!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 12:06 pm:

"Marshall, you are correct, it was for a Family Dollar store and parking lot."

Ah, progress! Ain't it great??? I'm not sure which degrades a neighborhood more - a Dollar General type of store or one that sells liquor, cigarettes and lottery tickets as its main commodities? Either one attracts the kind of people I don't want in my neighborhood. Hey! How about a pawn shop on the corner where the ice cream parlor once stood? Now THAT'S really progress and good for the community! And yes - we have all three of those kinds of businesses just a few blocks away that opened in the last couple years. And guess what!?! The crime rate has increased, trash is lying everywhere, tossed from cars, suspicious characters frequent the area now more than ever, and we've had shootings, robberies and burglaries that never occurred here before. I lay it all at these kind of businesses' doorsteps and the kind of human garbage they attract. And it all starts with tearing down classic old buildings that once gave our towns stability and character. Nothing good EVER replaces them. Have you noticed? Grumble, grumble, grumble...
Marshall Scrooge Daut

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration