Making a horn screen door today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Making a horn screen door today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 07:46 pm:

The battered horn for my '14 needed a door for the screen at the front of it. I have one with my better horn for another car I used as a pattern. Forming .025 thick brass over a maple form was my plan. You can only form the brass so far before annealing.

The brass buckles badly but can be worked. I started out with soft hammers of rubber, leather and hardwood but soon steel seemed to be the only thing that worked. Clamping shoes left over from cutting out the form worked well at one point.

Feeling the propane torch wasn't fast enough I got out the acetylene torch and annealed a hole right through the piece. Oh Scrud! It is best to take your time. Soon the piece looks like it is beyond repair but have faith.

I made a second form the right thickness to allow trimming and filing to the final dimension. Too much extra material made the buckling bad but kept me from not having enough. It's a learn as you go thing. Hose clamps worked well at this point.

Low and behold, with a little patience the bumps work out and the brass can be filed and sanded and then polished. As the wrinkles work out the brass becomes thicker as it is being compressed. By the time you file and sand it it gets close to the original thickness again. Pretty neat. This was one days work forming the brass. Another day could make it much nicer but this one is good enough for this horn. Yes that is the same piece I started with and the hole I burned through will not show. Now, where did I put that screen I bought 20 years ago?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

You're the man!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 07:54 pm:

Richard , I wish I had 1/16 of your talent. Very nice! Love to see your creations and the "how to" photos. Gives me courage!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

Perfect application for hammerforming, well done Richard! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 08:16 pm:

Jumping in and trying it is half the battle. The fact that this car is not perfect allows me to attempt things I wouldn't on a nicer car. Brass is fun to work but I have some lamps I'm afraid to touch. Always learning.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

Nice job Richard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

Absolutely amazing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Bruno on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

I like it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 10:46 pm:

One of the goals I have had since I was very young is to never stop learning!
Thank you, that was really neat!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

I agree with the others, Rich: Nice Job!!!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 11:24 pm:

Nice brass work Richard! The finished product looks great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 11:26 pm:

Good work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 10:43 am:

Great photo essay with a message too boot. Never stop learning

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 06:09 am:

Richard, you never cease to amaze me. You have gifted hands and the smarts to go with them. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 02:53 pm:

I'm glad this of some interest. Since the last post I have annealed the door one final time and fit it into the horn. Today I made some threaded inserts and one knurled screw to hold the door in place. The original screw was a #5-40 thread. I made mine #6-32 as I don't have #5 taps or dies. There is only a few thousandths difference.

While I try not to bring my troubles to the forum I think it is best to be honest. We sometimes make these things look too easy. While making the second knurled screw I broke the threaded end off in the die. I decided those three holes are to drill broken pieces out but the brass just won't come out. Now I have broken and bent the teeth and the die is ruined. That and searching for the various pieces when they fall on the floor or I forget where I put them can be frustrating. Looking for another die or the screen for the door in the shop hasn't helped the situation. I know I bought screen several years ago because I keep seeing it when I am looking for some other item. Buying another die and screen is a simple solution but I think I will try some other project for a while.
None of this is all that important. Having turned 70 this year I am adapting to poor or selective vision and some changes in memory. It is cheap entertainment and this time of year I am happy I don't have real problems. Just sharing what we all go through or will be going through if we are lucky to live this long.

Rich

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration