Where the time goes............

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Where the time goes............
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 12:30 am:

So I have 5 U & J carbs ready to go in the mail and two more in the queue. They all but one have to have a throttle rod. I have a new old stock one for a pattern but no 3/16 s rod. Made a trip to the hardware store this morning, grabbed three 3 foot pieces of rod. Spent about two hours tonight heating them, bending to shape, checking them on the pattern, polishing them on the flap wheel and drilling the cotter pin holes. Nope, can't touch it with a bit. Try another bit. Just smoked the bit. Harder than the hubs of hell. I bought piano wire which is already hard then heated it which made it even harder.

Only thing I can think of to do is try to anneal it, odds of me getting that right are slim. Probably go to the iron store in the morning and but a stick of cold rolled, do it all over again.

No wonder I am always behind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 08:50 am:

Unfortunately, the price of perfection is the time spent in doing something properly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 10:34 am:

Some truth to the old adage, what I used to do all night now takes me all night to do :-) It applies to carb perfection too

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 11:49 am:

Been there done that myself. I consider it part of the process. :-)
That piano wire aka “music wire” is some tough stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

When I saw the thread title I was expecting something like this...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 01:56 pm:

Beats me where the time goes... it was here just a minute ago. :-)

Merry Christmas, Stan!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

I went up a couple days ago and traded the empty cylinders for my new little portable acetylene torch for full ones, the gas one turned out to be empty, took it back this morning, they replaced it and apologized. Went to Pacific Steel, got 10 feet of 3/16's cold rolled. $2.50 instead of the 12 bucks worth of piano wire I'm going to throw out. There went most of the morning. Starting over on the project. Shop here I come. Soon as I make a cup of coffee, check facebook, answer a couple emails, find the new drill bits I put away so I would know where they are etc., etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 06:07 pm:

If you want to anneal the rod, heat it red hot and then let it cool slowly. Do not force cool it in any way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Shore on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 06:57 pm:

Sometimes the hurrier you go the behinder you get!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

I thought time went to Cleveland???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 08:15 pm:

Chris B 's post pretty well covers it. I'm currently in the middle of a remodel and his pie chart seems about right. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

I just made new ones after I wasted half an hour trying to anneal one. Had six done in an hour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 03:17 am:

Sometimes. It is simply faster to wait and do it later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 06:15 am:

Wayne, good point! :-) Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration