Engine support bracket- front of engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Engine support bracket- front of engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

Question about an engine support bracket (see pic).
I am helping a friend rebuild the front axle on a ’26 Roadster and we’ve stumbled upon a problem. When removing the front springs from the engine support bracket we noticed the cotter keys were ¼” BELOW the castle nuts, therefore the pins were not doing their job. A previous owner had installed 2 license plate brackets to take up space but they were not enough.

The car has 8 leaf springs and the front bottom spring clip bar is present. The threaded portion is 9/16-18.

Here’s my question: Is it possible the someone installed a bracket from a TT, which would seem to have more leaf springs, thus needing longer threaded portions and lower holes for the cotter pins?

Or, are there more than one size of engine support bracket?

(the photo is not ours- it was borrowed from a previous post by Scott Batta)
engine support bracket

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

There is supposed to be a pad between the spring and cross member.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 03:51 pm:

Tim- I’ve seen quite a few of the original pads but none have been 1/4” thick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 04:05 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/397859.html?1383141178

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 04:24 pm:

If you install a pad and find the nuts are still too high, just add a couple of big lock washers.

If you install a pad and the tie bolt head doesn't have a high enough head to reach above it into the hole in the frame, you may not have an original bolt. In that case you can get the proper bolt from Bob Bergstadt or you can build the head up higher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 05:06 pm:

Sounds good. We can shim from the top side with a thicker piece of rubber. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 05:08 pm:

In 1926 the TT truck front springs went from 7 leaves to 9 leaves. At 1/4" per leaf, it could well be Bill's front motor mount is from a TT.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

Saw its late TT witch fits a TT frame
Do as others suggested
Or find a replacement

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 08:10 pm:

I have a bunch - one could be yours, Bill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

For a previous thread with the photo of 1926-27 TT vs the 1921 - 1927 T and same part for 1921-1925 TT please see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/17336.html?1155418966

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 11:04 am:

This morning, after further disassembly, I find that the bracket does not have the threaded hole that holds the radiator apron tight. This is a sign that the bracket has been changed out in the past. I need to talk with the owner of the car so he can decide how to proceed. Thanks for your help.

Hole-less bracket

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

TT brackets have bigger "bolts" The two threaded rods that you say are too long. The clip is also special, holes are bigger to fit the bigger "bolts". PART # 3075-c is for a car. Part #1164-b is for a TT. the clips also are different part #. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

This is why I'm always a skeptic at claims of "all original". People assume that because everything is old it's all been together from the beginning. In the course of 90+ years most Model T's have undergone some changes, some a little and some a lot.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration