Radiator outlet pipes.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Radiator outlet pipes.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

The outlet pipe on Henrietta was still useable, so I carefully cut the hose clamp bolts, found slot head replacements and put the whole aside until the radiator is ready to be refitted.

While looking for some radiator mounting springs, I came accross a new old stock radiator outlet tube I didn't know I had!

The original one is on the left. I wire brushed the welded seam to highlight it. The same seam is on the new one.

The shiny black enamel was under the hose on the one I removed from the car. The rusty, storage battered replacement will look just as it should on this car. I intend to fit it seam side up, just to show how they were made back in the days.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 10:44 am:

Originals have the Ford script about every 8 or 10 inches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

Larry, I'm not going looking.I don't want to destroy the aged look for this car.

Besides, US parts tend to have the Ford script in more places than the Canadian sourced bits with which we are used to working. Finding the script on headlight rims is rare. Likewise,finding brands and scripts on headlight buckets is not usual.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 05:18 pm:

Allan I didn't think original lower water outlet pipes would last that long! My grandfathers Coupe's original pipe was long gone as the pipe that was on it was an exhaust pipe that was eaten up with rust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 06:30 pm:

I guess it depends on whether the water is leaving the radiator, making it an "outlet" pipe, or entering the block, making it an "inlet" pipe ? Just have to mess with you guys ! ; )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

I thought about that too, so looked at parts book and Ford called it outlet pipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

I have seen what some posters do to folk who do not use the correct nomenclature, so I checked Lang's catalog first and they call it an outlet pipe.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 05:55 am:

Checking Langs catalogue or Ford documents is a great way to “CYA” Alllan!!
They also say using a nice polished brass pipe is a no no due to chemical reactions?

Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 06:10 am:

Larry, my Christmas came a day early. Look what I found.

This is on the new old stock shop soiled item I am going to use.

From the distortion at each end, it would séem that the upset rolled into the pipes to make the hoses more secure was responsible for an uneven result and a pipe rather out of shape.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

I’ve installed one of the newer brass pipes available form the vendors. I do not need any more rust and sediment in my water system than I already have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

I'm with you too Dan. Get the brass pipe and painted black no one can know. But never any pipe rust from steel one.

Once I powdercoated a pipe, bad idea. The coating only went a small way down the inside. Then rust on the steel popped it loose. Yuk...poor radiator had to eat this stuff :-(

Rust inside a steel pipe

Partial bore powder coat, peels off!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

This is the original "water tube" of my 1910.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 05:27 pm:

Alan Long questioned whether using a brass pipe was a "no-no" because of chemical reactions. I wouldn't gainsay reactions don't occur, but what about all the brass in your radiator ? Shouldn't be any reason against a brass outlet pipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

Dan and Dan, I have alloy heads on all my T's, so I run coolant. No rust problems ever. On Henrietta I plan to use soluble oil in the water to keep rust at bay. And I don't have to have a bright shiny black painted one next to a rather ordinary looking block!

Kim, that pipe looks to have a crimped seam like that on muffler shells, rather than the welded seam on my two. Is that the case on really early ones?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

Rich,
Good question and one I should have asked the guy that questioned my brass “Water Tube” I’m going to paint it black now to match the engine block. Bonus, one less item to polish!!

Merry Christmas!

Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

Original outlet pipes are almost impossible to find. I have several, but I use a reproduction on my cars, and that way I don't have to worry about them rusting out, even though I use water soluable oil in with the water. Why don't I use anti-freeze? It stains the brass BIG TIME.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration