Hinges for the steel panel under the front seat 15+

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Hinges for the steel panel under the front seat 15+
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 10:41 pm:

I've found some references to the two hinges used on the hinged steel panel under the seat in a 15+ Runabout.
Front seat lid, gas tank lid, gas tank cover, seat panel etc. ;-)
Slowly working on an 1918 Runabout/Roadster.
Larry, if you see this would you tell me the Ford name for this part? Serious question. Thank you. :-)

What have you folks been using lately for the hinges on this part? Lang's number S136 in my case. Bought one this summer.

S136

hinge

Hinge before cleaning up the body. All I have.

The hinges available for the wood panels under the seat are gorgeous but not appropriate for the steel panel.
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 01:27 am:

Duey-
Here you go:

I'll look for some dimensions. A talented guy could fabricate a pair.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 01:35 am:

I think a guy names Bob Bishop used to make 'em.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 05:37 am:

I know Thomas Mullin did some research on these hinges. Perhaps he will post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 09:10 am:

Here are dimensions posted back ago, saved to file. Might assist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

Ace hardware has small hinges that can be slightly altered to look really close to the originals. Also Mc Master Carr has some small hinges that are almost identical. Or they use to anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 07:54 pm:

Yesss! Very helpful! :-)
I think somebody has hand-made these in the past and posted pics but I just cannot wrap my head around how to go about rolling the "loops" and it might be easier to do than I think... ?
The 1904 Practical Shop Work books on the shelf would likely explain rolling edges etc but if I open those books, I'll be gone for days... It'd be a good thing! :-)
In the meantime, off to peruse McMaster's and/or Ace.
Thanks guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 06:30 am:

Please post anything you find at McMaster Carr or Ace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 10:02 am:

Maybe one of these with a bit of trimming, bend shaping with welding some more material to get the size.

https://www.mutualhardware.com/collections/theatrical-hinges-1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

I wish I had a McMaster-Carr catalog... No luck on 3 computers & their web site thus far.
The 2 1/4" hinge at mutualhardware is looking fairly close IF it's 1 1/4" wide.
I'm no good at ratios but the pic on their site could be ratio'd out to get a good idea how wide the hinge is.
Dan, your drawing sure has the width correct. My rusty leftovers is just a few thou over 1 1/4"

Hillman fasteners shows almost no actual dimensions. Thru amazon, it shows the size of the card of 2 little hinges that are too short.

mock up

Does this look like a fair mock-up of a modern hinge to get what we want out of it?
Sometimes I should be more like Bob Brough and just hang up and listen. :-)
Bah. I get too excited and toil on detail.
Off to church soon.
Merry Christmas!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

Here is a link to a previous thread.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/12369.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

Is Joseph Mazor still making these hinges?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 09:14 am:

Look on the internet under cabinet hinges, many styles are very close to what you are looking for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

My luck, after the holidays, someone will chime in that they have a bucket full of these hinges...
Possible mutualhardware mistake above, the 2 1/4" hinge is that wide. Too big.
Joseph F. Mazor's profile from 2006 is obviously gone. I didn't try the email addy found thru the links.
Joe Mazor last signed in late 2012.

Had grandchild #6 on my lap at the wife's computer a bit ago and we did find a few potential hinge-like items at Mcmaster-Carr.
Blank hasp sets! Some assembly/imagination required but they appear to be a 3 "loop" hinge. :-)
Fairly close to almost close. 1/16" thickness on all below, I think.

1 3/16" wide to us, height to everyone else.
1304A31 Stainless. 8+ bucks apiece. Hmm, I swear someone had mentioned their hinges were 1 3/16".

1 1/8" wide steel.
1750A11 <2 bucks apiece.

1 1/2" wide steel.
1750A53 5 bucks a piece. Hmmm, could these be narrowed to 1 1/4" with a grinder or a belt sander?

Also a possible? At wwhardware, Sugatsune Table Top Hinge SMH83. Hole pattern is a bit narrow like the hinge.
5/8" hole pattern verses 3/4" on my tidbit.

hinge

$4.81 apiece chromed steel, another buck apiece for stainless.
Shoot. Note the 28mm for that hole pattern. That's way off? Yes? More than an inch. I find it should be about .670" or so?

(Message edited by duey_c on December 25, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

If you locate some hinges that are the close to the width but the holes are not correct you can weld or braze up the holes and redrill them for the correct size and location.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 08:33 pm:

I think I will order a set of wide blank hinges from McMaster-Carr to see how they are.
I wanted to show you a horrible rendition of these hinges before the end of the night/year. :-)
Material is thin (23 ga) and I think I need about 16 ga for the hinges but it was a fun trial.
I envy the fellas that have more open minds about new ways to do things and want to thank you for inspiration.! :-)
Rolling the hinges turned out to be very easy (HAH!) but the 16 ga will be a different story.
#5 Vise Grips around an 8 penny nail and a chisel to cut the pieces apart from the tin... :-)

hinge

Told ya it was horrible! It's skewed in so many ways...

Happy New Year MTFCA. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration