OT - but T related

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - but T related
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 12:29 am:

I just watched a documentary on Ford's experimentation with an X-8 design engine. Apparently they tried a number of different versions, air & water cooled, flathead & overhead, etc. All this circa 1920, concurrent with Model T production. One thing for sure, Ford's thinking didn't seem to be locked into the I-4 of the T.

This got me wondering if Ford had a fascination for short engines. After a brief fling with 6's, they continued to make a inline 4's until they started making the V-8. Perhaps there was some perceived technical or financial advantage to short crankcase castings, or maybe short crankshafts, or something else ?

I'm not arguing the relative benefits of the 6's. Just wondering if there is some common theme running through the I-4, X-8, and V-8.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/12/22/henry-fords-x-8-among-topics-covered-by -2018-gilmore-museum-lecture-series/?refer=news

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 12:45 am:

I think he was trying to balance things. If he had a short crankshaft with 4 cylinders around it, he could make a smoother running engine with all 4 cylinders turning a single crank journal or 2 journals. It would also balance the torsion on the crankshaft. With a straight in line engine, you have a lot more potential for twisting a crankshaft. I think the x8 would be more adaptable for an aircraft engine than for a car.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 09:34 am:

Thanks for bringing this up. It is a treat to see that marvelous creation again.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera in the U.P. of MI. on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

Made several of these a few years ago. Not exact by any means, but they look neat.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration