Steering wheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Steering wheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gregory on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 12:43 am:

I have a Fat Man steering wheel that I'm restoring. What type of finish should I apply to the wood ? I'm thinking about several coats of a hand rubbed oil finish or a good varnish finish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Taylor, WA on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 02:48 am:

Fat Man steering wheel finished nature mahogany wood. Lighten the mahogany wood color using white vinegar. Sanded the wood 150/1500. Apply two coats of polyurethane clear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gregory on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 07:33 am:

Thanks Art !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 08:59 am:

I sanded mine smooth with fine-grit paper, then rubbed in some oil stain and hit it with a few coats of varnish, sanding very lightly between coats.

Of course, it is in no way correct, but it does have a nice, rich look to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Johnson on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

Does anyone know how to cut or saw the splices or finger joints as original in a steering wheel ? Was a saw, router, or what was used ?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

They would be cut with a finger joint cutter. google finger joint cutter and that will show many examples.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 06:36 pm:

Bill Johnson,

Maybe this video will help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMAUERDoVzg

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration