1925 or earlier front springs on a 26/27 Roadster question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1925 or earlier front springs on a 26/27 Roadster question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 06:36 am:

Can it be done? I'm sure the set of 25 or earlier springs I have are worn and more than likely sagged, if that matters. Have the 26/27 spindles, so the plan is to use what springs I have. The lack of one leaf compared to the improved models spring pack has me concerned. I have access to a few broken leaves from another set. So, could I take a cut down leaf and use it as a "spacer" to gain the required thickness with success? The plan is to cut one leaf down to the length of the top leaf and set it on top of the pack to get the right thickness. I realize there's a chance the front end will be up to 1" higher, but with almost 100 year old springs I'm sure they've sagged a little anyways. Anyone else tried this with success? Thanks, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 09:02 am:

It will work fine, I have put all of my springs together using the best of what I have. If it needs tuning it is not the end of the world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 10:38 am:

Why not find another late '25-27 front spring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 12:32 pm:

Larry, if I could find one near NW Indiana, I would. Paying shipping on a spring pack, makes it an easier choice to work with what I have. BTW, this is for a 26/27 pieced together hillbilly RPU that I'm cleaning up and painting. The goal is to have an old vehicle to drive around near my country get-a-way. More of a refurbish than a restore.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration