AC LED bulb

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: AC LED bulb
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 07:51 am:

Anyone try these yet? Iím going to order a couple and see if they work off the mag voltage for the headlights

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/s-series-bulbs/1156-led-bulb-18-smd-led -tower-ba15s-retrofit-car/163/#notab

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 08:31 am:

They have a wide DC voltage range, but says 12VAC Didn't give a range for AC. A goog mag will near 30 VAC. Wonder if that's too much for two of them in series? Maybe not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 08:40 am:

I only have two NOS AC bulbs left. Not sure if they have gotten brittle with age but donít seem to last long. Might be an alternative

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lew Morrill on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 09:00 am:

You can try them but I don't think they will work. Unlike regular bulbs that are a resistor that gets hot and gives off light when current flows through them these are LED's. LED stands for light emitting diode. A diode is a one way electrical gate and if polarity is reversed will not allow any current to pass. I think there is an error on the web site regarding it being suitable for Alternating Current. The electrical properties are stated as up to 30 volts DC. I didn't see where there was any discussion of AC current being acceptable.

It will be interesting to see if they work with AC current. Let us know the results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 09:11 am:

Web site definitely says 10-30VDC and 12VAC. Also says not polarity sensitive.

The AC doesn't have me as concerned as the lack of voltage range in AC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 10:01 am:

I would try this one instead because it has two time the LED's and will be brighter

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1156-led-bulb-w-stock-cover-36-smd-led-tower-ba15s-retrofit-car/1686/#tab/Specifications

I use these in my Depot Hack and they are bright enough to see well at night. They should work on a AC MAG as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 10:03 am:

Be sure to select the Cool 6000k as this is a White Light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 11:40 am:

The 1156 is a single contact bulb, The headlight use a dual contact base like in the 1157, also many of the LED auto bulbs are not rated for continuous duty such as running lights or headlights, and unless the led bulb has a diode for reverse polarity protection built in You will need one to run on the mag, and then the voltage will be cut in half because the diode only lets half of the mag AC voltage cycle pass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 12:48 pm:

Here is the dual post LED version
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-w-stock-c over-dual-function-36-smd-led-tower-bay15d-retrofit-car/1689/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Rod B. My knowledge of anything electrical is sorely lacking, however, I have a question:

My '23 Roadster Pickup has proper original type kerosene cowl lights that have been electrified and work very well as parking lights/running lights, and especially as turn signals. Only problem is that in the daylight, as a turn signal, they are very dim.

I'm sure that the LED bulb you suggest would do wonders to brighten the running light/parking light feature of my electrified cowl lights, but my question is, will the LED bulb draw enough current to activate the conventional type flasher unit that is part of my turn signal system? I'm sure that the flasher unit is a heat-activated make & break type of flasher,.....thanks,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 05:10 pm:

"10-30VDC and 12VAC. Also says not polarity sensitive."
Sounds like a standard LED driver circuit. There's a bridge rectifier, hence AC/non polarity sensitive DC operation. The output of the rectifier feeds a switchmode constant current power supply, so the actual LED's are fed with a constant current (350mA is a typical value), regardless of voltage input to the whole thing.
Yes, it would work on the magneto provided the input to the LED driver's switching regulator wasn't exceeded. A good magneto at high engine revs is likely to destroy it. You'd need another voltage regulator external to the LED bulb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

I have these in both my 1915 and 1919, hooked up to a 12 volt battery and am de"lighted" with their performance. Very little draw on the battery, so without a charger I could drive all night long if I had to.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 05:35 pm:

Harold,

If you have LED's on the front and rear you will probably need to add a load resistor to each side of your turn signals. Here is a link to how I did it: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/600396.html?1475731407

John,

When running LED headlights on a MAG, they should work without any additional conversion from AC to DC.

If you are running a 6V system, I would recommend adding one of these to your headlight circuit only: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XPTHY86/ref=asc_df_B06XPTHY865312005/?tag=hyprod-20 &creative=395033&creativeASIN=B06XPTHY86&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216534554317&hvpos= 1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2226070400922767145&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl= &hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016537&hvtargid=pla-351409032377

YMMV, Rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Robbins on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN

Just for the sake of asking, If you're running an LED bulb in the tail lights wouldn't you also want to run the that circuit through the booster as well? I'm asking only because I'm curious myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

Yes, if you have a 6v system, you would need to run all of the LED's through the 6v to 12v converter, unless you could find a 6v LED for the tail lights / turn signals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Robbins on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

Thanks. I've been wandering how I was going to be able to run LED's on my speedster project but still be able to leave it as 6V as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 12:38 pm:

Superbright ledís make a 6v (or 24v) 1157 bulb with a 15 or 110 degree beam angle which I have installed as an additional tail/brake light on my í26. Works great.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration