OT - ultra black ??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - ultra black ??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

I love the stuff ! What's the best way to keep a tube usable - leave the cone applicator to set up and clean it out next use ? I find the cap did not seal well, neck of the tube was solid. You fellers got any tricks up your sleeves ? : )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

When you need some, put a small nip in the side of the tube, near the bottom, with diagonal cutters and squeeze out what you need. Only a little bit of material near the nip will harden, sealing the nip back up.

Next time, do another nip at another place on the side of the tube, near the bottom and squeeze out what you need.

Each nip will self-heal, keeping the rest of the tube fresh and ready for next time. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

Try a nail in the cone applicator, then when you pull out the nail, the goo should come out.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 01:56 pm:

Rich,

While I haven't tried this with Ultra Black, I have used it successfully on several other silicone products.

Take a quality zip top bag, reseal the silicone as best you can, place the sealed silicone in the bag, roll/fold the bag around the silicone to remove as much air as possible, then seal the bag.

I have been able to keep silicone good, without having to clear hardened (vulcanized) silicone out of the tube, for over 2 years. I don't use much silicone lately as I used to.

If you use less expensive bags, use two of them. Follow the above procedure, then place the first bag in the second and expel as much air as possible out of the second bag, then seal.

The minimum amount of air near the silicone causes a minimum of hardening of the silicone.

While not as effective but still good, I use it on caulking gun tubes as well. I believe the shape of the tube does not allow removal of enough air and I usually find some hardened silicone needing removal. Much less and easier to remove than without the bag treatment.

Works for me. Hope it will work for you.

Good Luck,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Anderson on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 03:33 pm:

A dab of vasoline on the end of the tube keeps out the air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 04:08 pm:

If you look around in enough places on a Model T you can use a whole tube at one time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

Hand the tube to a politician .

They will take all of the air out for you .....

FJ

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration