Bosch mag rotation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Bosch mag rotation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

I should know this but need help

Looking at the picture what is the ration of the mag

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 07:09 pm:

Rotation. can't spell sorry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

Hi Mike- pretty sure that's a CW rotation (looking at the input shaft end of the mag). Easy enough to confirm- take that little center screw out and the entire point plate will come off the end of the armature. There will be either cw or ccw stamped on the back side of the point assembly. I'm also pretty sure the 3 gear Bosch drive brackets require a CCW rotation mag.
I'll check at the shop and report back if no one lese chimes in here. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 07:54 pm:

Dan

Didn't know where to look but I thought it was set up wrong for the Bosch front plate. I will look and see if I can find the marks stamping
Thanks

Come to think a lot of years ago I was going to build a reverse rotation engine for a flat head hill climber. I think I have CRS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

There should be an arrow stamped on the oiler on top also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

No oiler on an AT4 that would have been to easy. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

http://www.oldcroak.com/at4-at6-bosch-magneto-instruction-parts-manual/

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167192

I didn't read all thru above post but maybe there is something in the instruction manual that might help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

As I understand it, the arrow on the oiler doesn't mean much because you can reverse rotation on a Bosch if you change the point set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 03:29 am:

Mike ; When you look from this side , it is CCW .
As by tractors and stationaire engines.
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 08:49 am:

Hope this helpspicture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 11:55 am:

From Bosch manual, for those who are unfamiliar with the standard convention of magneto rotation.

mag rotation

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

Thanks to all that posted.
Mark your links really helped.
Peter your drawing took this from clear as mud to clear.
Saved both for reference.
Looks like I need to find parts or another mag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

I just added this to my saved list also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

Here's a bit about reversing rotation as you can't use the timing marks "as stamped" if I remember correctly:

https://books.google.com/books?id=8lkfAQAAMAAJ&pg=RA20-PA39&lpg=RA20-PA39&dq=rev ersing+bosch+magneto+rotation&source=bl&ots=g40SOOPyG7&sig=masmF2cWnWBXhEIY7rXdR hdcCn4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwir2Iqg26HYAhXimeAKHZjaAC4Q6AEIYTAN#v=onepage&q=reve rsing%20bosch%20magneto%20rotation&f=false

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 03:22 pm:

Every Bosch mag I have ever worked on has timing marks for both cw and CCW rotation pre stamped on the large brass gear that the rotor rotates on. there may be some that don't, but that's not been my experience.
Dan

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration