K R Wilson Drive head

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: K R Wilson Drive head
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

Ok guys I am going to need you to dig into your files for this one, my kr Wilson drive head just crapped out and I am wondering if anyone has pictures or a blow apart diagram of the drive so I can see what exactly is causing the problem. thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

What KRW machine is the drive head part of?? It would help if we knew what machine is broken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

Spencer: Like this? If you want more PM me. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

Jack, its off my model t combination machine.

Dan, That's it I'll put pictures up tomorrow I just ran out of steam and daylight to finish pulling the drive off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 07:32 pm:

Here are some more

Somewhere I have the bearing numbers, but you can get them off the bearings. They are still made. If you have questions, Pm me. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

You most likely sheared a key, its doubtful you damaged the worm or worm wheel as those are pretty stout. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

Well I just pulled it apart and I was hoping the key was sheared but not my luck the lead screw is completely stripped along with the binder and the case is cracked. Now I could fix it but I am going to ask before I try to repair it does anyone have a complete drive head they would be willing to sell thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Simon Bayley on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 03:04 am:

Dan
can you post the bearing numbers here... Im going to be starting a Combination Restoration soon

PS. If anyone has a reamer for sale for KRW Combination machine - Please let me know.

Cheers Simon
New Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 08:09 am:

Simon: Found the # Cup Timken # 3120 Cone Timken # 3193. I got these from Motion Inds. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 08:11 am:

Spencer: I have extra machine I am thinking about selling. If you are interested Pm me. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 11:40 am:

I have the drive head & table minus the legs available - cheap !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

Can anyone "walk me through" the disassembly procedure for the gear case ? Got the two belt drive pulleys off and the gear box unbolted from the table - that's as far as I got - letting the gear lube drip dry !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 10:31 pm:

Still haven't found my books on it I can't remember how I torn the old one down Dan Hatch are you around to guide us on disassembly thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

Still haven't found my books on it I can't remember how I torn the old one down Dan Hatch are you around to guide us on disassembly thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 02:59 am:

From what I remember you remove the 4 bolts on each end of the input shaft. Work the input shaft out, the cups come out and then you can work the shaft out. The output shaft gear has a set screw that holds it in place. Remove it and work shaft out. Best to clean the thing first so you can see what you are doing. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 11:52 am:

My drive head does not have the removable end plates - the head is cast in one piece. I'm going to get it in the solvent tank and see what's what.
Must be a retainer on the main pulley shaft so one can pull it out of the casting to get at the rest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

Steve: Can you post a pic? I would like to see what you are talking about. The input shaft plates a numbered CM80 and CM81 on that parts pic I posted. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

Will do.

Haven't got a KR Wilson catalog later than 1926 so I'm thinking it might be a later ? model head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Simon Bayley on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 04:12 am:

Hi Steve and others

I haven't quite started the restoration of mine yet but will do shortly - mainly been getting the bits and pieces I am missing to make it complete. (very hard to locate things like this in New Zealand)

Here are some photo's of the non KRW plate version. I am unsure if this was before the plate or after. It has some other differences too.

Ps I haven't taken my drive section apart yet so don't know what the internal differences are.

Cheers Simon
From warm New Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 11:34 am:

Thanks for posting the photos, Simon - that's the same as mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 03:59 pm:

Looks like it would be a later model. They did away with the bearings and the bearing holders( the plates that bolt on to hold the bearings). Are those oil cups on the input bushings?

I would think hat the input shaft would have to drive out. Just need to find what holds the gear on, should be a key and maybe set screws like the output shaft gear. Clean all the grease out and see what you can see. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Simon Bayley on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 04:59 pm:

Dan - you are correct - they are oil cups.

Cheers Simon

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration