Tire Size(s) For 1924 Touring?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Tire Size(s) For 1924 Touring?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 01:09 am:

I am a brand new T owner.
Do I want 30 by 3 size tires on the front and 30 by 3.5 size tires on the rear wheels or 30 by 3.5 size tires all the way around on my 1924 Touring?
Can't read the sizes on my 40 year old tires.

Are the Universal T Drivers at $160 from Lang's a good value?

Thank you and Merry Christmas to all MTFCA members!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 01:31 am:

Gene - Your 1924 Touring would have had 30 X 3 1/2 on demountable rims on all 4 wheels when new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 01:57 am:

If your car came with starter/generator it would have the 30X3 1/2 all around if it did not come with starter/generator it would have the 30x3 1/2 rear and 30x3 on the front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 02:27 am:

Mike V and Gene E, that answer, unfortunately, is not entirely correct. Most likely, a '24 touring car would have had 30X3.5 all the way around on demountable clincher rims. But there are two other possibilities. One, would be that the not-so-common non-demuntable wheels were on the car originally, and still there. A lot more Ford cars were sold with non-demountable wheels in those days than most people today would think. The model T open cars (and TT trucks) were available with non-demountable wheels through at least the model year '26. Few are seen these days because many of their owners gave in and switched to the easier to use demountable rims that were available cheap second hand when a '24 car was only a couple years old.
The other thing that a lot of people did when their T was a few years old, was put the later 21 inch "balloon tire" wheels and rims on it. By the late thirties, the 21 inch tires were sometimes more available and more convenient to use.

So, Gene E, if you can, confirm whether the the wheels and tires are clincher type (has a bead around the tire that is "clinched" by the outer side of the rim rolling over it)? Or straight side (like it sounds, and similar to modern tires)? After that. Are there four (possibly five?) bolts around the outer part of the wheel that hold the rim in place? Also, check to make sure that all the wheels are basically alike or not?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 08:51 am:

I've even heard of two T owners back in the day who would swap non-demountable wheels, taking them off the hubs and making a set of 23's for one car and a set of 24's for the other, so all 4 would be the same.

If you could post a pictures (250kb or smaller), I'm sure someone can identify your correct tire size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 10:19 am:

Here is Gene's photos from his first post showing his new T.

Front wheel is demountable, should be 30 X 3 1/2" clincher tire.

The new Wards Riversides are good old time pattern and mounts pretty easy too.

Wards Riverside foreground, on front, Universal T-Driver on the rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 10:26 am:

Welcome to the hobby Gene!

and Merry Christmas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 11:39 am:

From the encyclopedia:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 11:45 am:

I have a friend who has a 1909, with 30X3's all the way around. It's the strangest thing to see! It just doesn't look right, because it isn't!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 12:02 pm:

The Canadians were a little smarter and had 30x3.5 all around from the word go! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

Here are two photos of a front and rear wheel.
They have 4 bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

So I need four 30 by 3.5 clincher tires.
Are the Wards Riversides a better choice than the T Drivers?

Thanks again,

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

Unless you buy the really expensive European version (made by Michelin I believe?), basically all the T clincher tires are made in a factory in Viet Nam. Quality is comparable across the bunch, but the T driver tires do not require an additional royalty payment for using the names, so are therefore slightly cheaper.
At least that is the story I have heard numerous times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 04:58 pm:

I receive good service from my T drivers. The fronts wear faster than the rears on my car (I don't do burnouts), so when the fronts get worn I put them on the rear and buy two new ones for the front. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fords Masterpiece . nj on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

Thats a lotta cash for a tire that thin . I guess monopoly explains . A tire that size should never cost that much . Is it hightech ? Maybe ijust dont know .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fords Masterpiece . nj on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 05:46 pm:

But was told that just about 2 years ago we could get them for $99.00 . At least 2 guys had told me that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 05:57 pm:

The $99 tires were balloon tires, not clinchers. I believe the only difference between Riversides and Universals is the tread pattern and about $8 a tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 06:14 pm:

In my experience, the T driver tyres are considerably taller than the Wards Riversides, which are closer to the original size used on T's. I inherited a set of new T drivers on a project I bought and I lucked in, to some degree. They have held up well and not split on the sides in the 4 years they have been on my shooting brake. However, they are wearing out at a rapid rate when when compared with older pre Viet Nam made tyres.

It may take a catastrophic failure before something is done about the poor quality of the tyres the monopoly provides us.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 06:20 pm:

The cost is how big the market is and we are a very small market.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

Shop around on the web, you may find better deals.

Here is one on Wards Riverside, special deal, free shipping, no sales tax.

https://www.performanceplustire.com/antique-tires/wards-riverside-tires/clincher -blackwall/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

Same price as Lucas. The difference is shipping.

http://www.lucasclassictires.com/30x3-1-2-23-Rim-Wards-Riverside-Clincher-Blackw all-365p.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

Mark:
How can you stand having those awful carriage bolts holding you hubs in? Randall Anderson makes a perfect copy of the original, so you have no excuse! Merry Christmas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 09:00 am:

Larry, I have a set of R.V.'s bolts, I'm waiting until I rebuild those Hayes wheels with new spokes before I install them.

I rebuilt my set of spare Kelsey wheels with a set of R.V's correct bolts. :-)

wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

Mark, that's a beautiful set of Kelsey loose lug wheels. I too would never have covered the grain in those spokes with paint.
I was interested in the removable lugs you used. I see Langs now have replacements listed, "strong steel billett". That would suggest they are CNC machined, and that would perhaps account for the hefty $16.75 each price tag. Are yours some of theirs?
The originals look to have been made from a hot rolled section of suitable profile, which was cut most likely by guillotine to length. This makes them somewhat inconsistent in shape, and the edges of the hot rolled section are somewhat rounded. Likewise, the flanged nuts are stamped and are not the perfect copies produced by machining.
I collect all the originals I find, have them sand blasted, re-tap the nut threads, and then have all the bits electro zinc plated. I'll have to revise my prices though. Good to see Langs making the effort to market what has until now been unavailable in any form.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

Yes, I believe I did get the lugs (and bolts and nuts) from Lang's.

When I first got Betsy, she had one or two slightly loose spokes. On the advice of folks on the forum, I immediately started gathering the parts to build up a fresh set of wheels. I placed an order with Model T Haven for another set of four hubs and Hayes felloes. Mark was out of Hayes at the time, so he sent me Kelsey felloes.

I built up a set of new wheels using the Kelsey felloes and started a multi-year quest to find at least five really nice Kelsey 88 rims.

While I was hunting for rims, and with the new wheels built and in reserve, I figured I had nothing to lose by experimenting with shimming the loose spokes on my Hayes wheels. The shimming worked out so well that I have left the Hayes wheels on the car for over four years now.

At some point, all of my current tires will be bald and it will be time to get new tires. At that point, I'll install the new tires onto the Kelsey rims and install the Kelsey wheels on the car. This will free up the Hayes wheels for rebuilding with new spokes. Then I'll send my Hayes rims out to be blasted and hot-dip galvanized so that they will be fully refurbished and ready to install on the car when all my tires on the Kelsey rims are bald. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration