Montana 500 Corner in "The Vintage Ford" magazine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Montana 500 Corner in "The Vintage Ford" magazine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 11:51 am:

I do not want to highjack the other thread that mentioned that the "Vintage Ford" magazine will not be publishing the "Montana 500 Corner" because of lack of response to a survey that was mailed to members.

So I thought I would say that I will miss the very informative articles and hope that they will be soon returning to the magazine.

Did you like the articles?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 12:26 pm:

I didn't see any survey, but would have given an enthusiastic YES to retaining this feature.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Mullins Spokane Wa. on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

Yes retain this feature

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 12:49 pm:

Yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 12:56 pm:

I enjoy reading Toms "Montana 500 Corner" column also, and would like to see it continued in The Vintage Ford.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 12:56 pm:

Perry,

Your question assumes the person answering the question is an active dues paying member of the MTFCA & receives the magazine.

I respect Tomís comments regarding the accuracy of a survey conducted in the magazine - I also respect Mikeís comments regarding the attempt of the editorial staff to get feedback from magazine readers.

I am an active MTFCA member - I receive the magazine and read it when I am in town to check my mail - I do not recall reading a survey but then I donít read everything in the magazine.

I did enjoy Tomís column and look forward to reading it in the magazine.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

YES and yes!
While very few people "race" their Model T's the tips and information that Tom was giving in his articles is very important to all drivers. Tips to improve the longevity of the engine and transmission are important to each of us driving our cars.
I hope some articles will be published in the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

Freighter Jim,

If they don't receive the magazine then they wouldn't know what the "Montana 500 Corner" was.

Drive carefully in the winter weather and be safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

Perry,

Not necessarily - my uneducated guesstimate is that fewer than 10 percent of those registered members on this forum are actually current dues paying MTFCA members.

My uneducated guesstimate based on my travels all over the lower 48 states meeting Model T owners - the majority of active Vintage Ford readers I meet do not frequent this discussion forum.

To me - that explains the sentiment expressed here on the forum along with the results of those who answered the survey in the magazine.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

A poll such as this would not be an accurate accounting either because it is not comparing the Montana 500 Corner with anything else in the Magazine. Itís like asking if someone likes apples without asking if they like oranges. Some may like oranges better but still like apples. It does not prioritize anything. The survey that was included with the Vintage Ford asked members to prioritize what they wanted to see in the Vintage Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

I guess I never thought of this as a poll. I just stated I liked the articles and would miss them and ask other if they liked them. Sorry I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

No feathers ruffled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

Mike is right. This is just an echo chamber. Ford spent a ton of money with polls and surveys researching the Edsel and it was a flop. Harris and most of the other pollsters, with all of their science and money can't even get an election right. Knowing this, it seems ridiculous to me to call the few (I assume) people that actually responded to a Vintage Ford survey "the powers that be".

As I said to the editor when we were discussing this, I believe that the Vintage Ford needs to be pro-active, not re-active. But, it is a lot harder to be a visionary than to hang your hat on the results of a survey.

In regard to the Montana 500 Corner, as far as I'm concerned, that ship has sailed. I have no desire to revive it in any capacity at this time.

Again though, thanks to everyone for their support. :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 04:02 pm:

Tom: Kudos to a job well done. Thanks for your efforts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

I'm a member but don't remember a poll, must have just missed it. In any case, I enjoyed Tom's write-ups in the Montana 500 Corner. Well thought out and good stuff that could apply to any T.

Thank You Tom, I appreciate your expertise and willingness to share with the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

Don't remember any poll, but hell yes. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 12:22 am:

Tom,

I understand the work and effort that goes into writing an article. I have a suggestion that might be a compromise.

If you were able to write some "tips" from your vast knowledge of the workings of a model t. and from time to time post them here. I'm confident you would get a following of both speedster and regular model t owners. This would be a huge service to us model t owners to share proven service and restoration information that would help keep t's on the road and running well.

While I never did the 500, I followed everything you wrote regarding "legal" modifications and plan on incorporating some in my "Fronty" speedster.

Please reconsider for the good of the order.

just askin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aleesa Drennen-VF editor on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 03:52 pm:

Greetings,

In addition to serving as Vintage Ford editor, I own a marketing company and have conducted countless surveys through the years. As Tom Carnegie stated, a survey only provides a small part of the big picture. Survey response rates have been declining worldwide, so the survey is not the only ruler the MTFCA is using to determine future article content.

We were surprised that Montana 500 related content was ranked low on the survey and in other feedback we have received. Tom Carnegieís Mar-Apr 2017 article on precision tuning wire spoke wheels was an excellent article with valuable tips for performance experts and novices. While we probably will not have a regular column for Montana 500 coverage in each issue, we will definitely continue covering and including this type of information in the Vintage Ford and hope Tom will continue to submit possible articles.

Aleesa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 12:32 am:

I wonder when this survey was done? Seems to me as I read from cover to cover I have no recollection of this particular one. I would suggest that the editor place a survey here on the website with simple check off boxes. This is the up date way to encourage more member's to actually participate and give you a more accurate response.

I also wonder if the over all numbers for this complete survey could be "shared" with the members. Surveys are an interesting somewhat outdated activity in today's fast paced world, unless you do it on the net.

Timing is critical to the success of any survey. Such as when the time leading up to the Montana 500 there is information available as well as chatter on the web site. Therefore if a survey regarding the 500 is done at a more appropriate time the results may differ greatly.

While not wanting to "pick of fight" I wonder if this was a short sighted knee jerk reaction by the editorial staff. I assume that our magazine is published for the enjoyment and information of the member's. That said when someone offers their time and expertise to further the operation and restoration of model t Fords, certainly there is a corner space that it can be included. Maybe not on a full page every issue format but at least include it as time and space permits.

I realize the Montana 500 has a somewhat limited participation but it has been around for 50 some years. It has blossomed over the years to include not only the participants that run the endurance part but regular T's folks that follow the group. So with the following and the overall interest it does bring a bit of publicity to our cars our club and the potential of attracting new members. I believe our mission as members and especially paid staff is to encourage the enjoyment,use and touring of our model t Fords. What better way to accomplish that, that to publish in our magazine articles about events, tours, museums, and technical articles such as the information that Tom so expertly offered.
Just sayin'
brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Walker on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 01:01 am:

What i think curious is that looking at pictures of the Montana 500 on the web sight how many young people are involved we are should be pushing things that young people like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 09:12 am:

The 'poll' was a paper ballot included with the VF publication, I think we had until 12/15 to return it. Personally, I think the recent changes in VF are real 'improvements'. To me the publication with limited pages and 6 issues per year covers a breadth of relevant and interesting topics. The 'changes' implemented in the past 8 or so issues were timely and on target. I applaud all who work on the publication and those who submit art and printed copy.

IIRC, the 'poll' asked us to 'rank' topics on a 1-10 scale, and I think there were two groups of 10 items each. I 'ranked' them meaning I had to assign a different number to each of the ten items. I would have preferred to 'rate' each item on a 1-10 scale, meaning I could have had more then one item with a top rating, and similarly more than one with a bottom rating. In the end, it probably matters little, especially if members who actually read VF chime in and submit a survey.
The Montana 500 commentary mentions an opportunity all publishers are exploring and exploiting today. The fact that MT 500 and many other T-related topics can be explored efficiently on line, and the fact that so much information and dialogue exists here on the Forum is testimony to the fact that on-line supplements and in some cases on line sources have replaced printed publications. I hope VF continues in printed form, but the printed format can be and I feel is already augmented in a good way by the internet. I will look at MT 500 postings on the website referenced, thanks for sharing that information. In my view, other on-line info should also be identified in VF and continue to be cited on the Forum.

Thanks to all who make VF and this Forum a reality. Happy New Year. jb

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration