Measurement for crank Spring hole?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Measurement for crank Spring hole?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 04:55 pm:

My 1915 crank does not have a hole for The spring - can somebody give me a measurement where are the hole needs to be drilled at?

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

Are you really sure there's no hole? If you haven't already, be sure to poke all around with a nail or awl, I'll bet that the hole is there, just plugged with the end of a broken spring, or just greasy dirt and rust. :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/581741.html?1445905549

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/291349.html?1337850472

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 05:47 pm:

It's 5ĺ" from the ratchet end of the shaft, at the start of the bend, on the lower left side. As Mark says, it's probably there and hidden by rust/dirt/paint. It's very small and easy to miss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

I'll bet you, that if you sandblast the crank handle, that hole will show up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 09:54 am:

Totally agree with what everyone has been saying. When I got my T, it didn't have a spring, and there seemed to be no hole in the crank for it. I looked all over.

After a lot of wire brushing and cleaning, sure enough, it was there all along!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

When Martynn Vowell and I were helping Derrick Pang get his Runabout up to run about No hole was found . Got out the sandpaper and removed the paint ,found the plugged hole and took a drill and cleaned out the junk and caked mud out by hand twisting with the drill bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 01:28 pm:

James,

Measure the diameter of the spring, then drill the hole the next size bigger. Number size drills would be best here, (versus fractional sizes).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 10:16 pm:

Thanks guys- iíll find that hole yet. Thereís no paint left on it and it it is machined smooth from usage- but itís got to be there. Iíll do some wire wheeling and check Steveís measurement and Iíll find that hole Ė thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 09:51 am:

Once you find it, drill out the crud with a drill bit, so that the new spring 'L' end fits into the hole fully.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 09:57 am:

What's even more difficult on the late T's, is freeing up the handle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

I have a NOS crank that has two spring holes drilled. A bit hard to see, but the righthand one is in the usual position and the second one to its left is on the crank centerline. Anyone want to guess why that would have been done?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

Added some light to the question, don't have a clue other than drill operator practice! Maybe you NOS, is actually a quality reject....?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 11:42 pm:

Another view.

The weed seeds are an aftermarket accessory.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 04:39 pm:

Wipe some sort of quick evaporating solvent on it and watch it dry. I bet it shows up as the solvent in the hole will evaporate last.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

R.V. ,One crank spring hole will accommodate a left hand drive and the other crank spring hole for those driving on the wrong side of the road ? Happy New Year to all my Forum Friends

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

Cool, Dan; how'd you do that?

I thought kinda the same thing. Maybe a factory mis-drill that wouldn't be reason enough to reject it. It sure wouldn't hurt anything.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration