I Ain't Believing This

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: I Ain't Believing This
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

I bought a T part on Ebay and it was mailed from Gloucester, MA. I live in Richmond, TX, near Houston. I just checked the shipment through USPS tracking and it said it was on its way to Richmond, TX and had passed through the postal distribution facility in HONOLULU, HI ! ! !
Gee, I wish I'd been mailed instead of the part. I could have gone for a vacation in December in Hawaii ! ! !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

Hey,I sold a 2 barrel carb on ebay about a year ago.It went to a small mountain town about 2 hours from here.It took it 2 weeks to get there bouncing around in 4 states!
I sold the same man a carb last week.he paid Wednesday night,I shipped Thursday about 11:30,he took it from the mailman Friday about 11:30.
24 hours exactly. Why the major shift in time I don't know.strange how that entity works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

If I mail something to my neighbor a quarter mile down the road, the local post office sends it to Wichita, sixty miles away, and comes back to the local post office the next day for delivery. Mighty efficient.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

When my mortgage company sends me a letter from Ohio to Ca. It gets to me in 3 days.
When I send my mortgage payment by mail it takes until the day after it is due. Even if I mail it on the first they claim they get it on the 16th.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

Post office delivery is hard to understand. They claim it has to do with the Hub locations. I sent 2 boxes from Pennsylvania to New Haven Connecticut. The tracking shows it going to Philadelphia, which is going the opposite direction of Connecticut, then went to Massachusetts, which is past Connecticut. Received packages one day later than promised but before Christmas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 11:07 pm:

Aaron: Our mail goes from
Redding to Sacramento- sorted and sent back to redding for delivery- Smart yes-no. Had a sorting center here and the Mail department closed it and did what I just stated.
I think we need an overhaul on the mail system. Maybe privatize it it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 01:01 am:

Bill,
Dunsmuir mail used to go to Redding and then back to Dunsmuir (or north to Mt Shasta, if that was the destination)Now it goes to Redding, then to Sacramento, and back to Redding, and then to Dunsmuir.
Yep, real efficient there.
Decades ago, it was sorted onboard the train that was transporting it, so as the train went through the next towns, it was tossed out (in a mail bag) to be at it's destination's post office. Sorted while being transported, seems a more efficient way. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 01:32 am:

Our Mail delivery has gone down the toilet, our mail man doesn't get his mail for delivery until about 2:30 pm So by the time he gets to Me on the end of his route its usually dark thirty, some week days no delivery and then two the next one early about 8:00 am and the usual late one, quite often I receive other peoples mail some on My road close by, others on other side of town no similarities in address or name. seems the distribution center sorts all the mail and puts it in presorted stacks in order of delivery street and address, and the mailman just drives the truck putting the next mail stack in the next box and never looks to see if mail box and the mail have the same address, and no need to complain, in general they don't give a rats rear about service, they have a monopoly on mail delivery and they act like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 01:33 am:

Here in Canada, our rates are significantly higher than in the lower 48. I always claim that the majority of the cost was for "Storage" not transportation. Oh well, belated Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 01:38 am:

David:I think that was the way they did it \back in Missouri on the Frisco Railroad back in the Late 40's and early 50's. I sent a letter to my parent's from Mansfield, Missouri in 1956, trying to surprise them that I was in the USA after spending 28 in Germany. It beat me home. I was hoping it had the Frisco Railroad post mark and the Mansfield, post mark and the was over or about 62 years ago. Boy sur does fly, as my time in the Army was over in 1956 and I have been in Redding since Sept 1956. What a change that has taken place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Saw my first
"T" there in the later part of the 40's.Even though it was a 4 door it would be nice to have that car today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 06:14 am:

If the mail gets privatized we will pay 3 dollars for a post card, based on it's size and thickness measured around the center. and God help you if it's a padded envelope. Our new internet sales shopping miracle will come to a screeching halt soon, I'm convinced, because of shipping costs. How many here have let something pass they really wanted because of shipping costs? Its gonna get much worse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 06:19 am:

We have 2 different mail people for our neighborhood. One is OCD and arranges mail by size left to right, perfection; the other guy could brake a rock delivering it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 09:06 am:

I collect old garden tractors,single,2 wheel and 4 wheel types.I had some Planet Jr wheel weights I did not want because it just makes the tractor heavier for transport and handling.So i put them on a website and a guy wanted them. In Oregon.So I put 2 wheel weights in a priority mail box,large. I made a wooden box,put the weights in it and put that in the box. weighed about 58 pounds. I taped the crap out of it and in 3 days he had them in great shape. All the way across America. That was about 10 years ago. I doubt it would work that well today.It seems the last few years their service has went downhill further.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 09:28 am:

I'm going to stick up for the USPS. I have shipped a bunch of stuff all over the US over the last ten years or so and have had no complaints. Sure, the rates have gone up, but so has everything else

Years ago, our mail man was lousy. I once saw him drive by and just throw our mail out on the ground. He's long gone though.

I love the flat rate boxes. We shipped one from Anchorage, AK to Indiana for $18.75. No problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 09:41 am:

I remember when a stamp was 3 cents and the postman came twice a day. Around Christmas he even came on Sunday. However I can send an e-mail today almost instantly. It has put the telegram out of business and the land line telephone is almost a thing of the past. And postal delivery has been almost taken over by advertisement. So has the telephone!

I also remember when I could go from San Diego to Los Angeles in a Model A in about 3 hours on 2 lane roads. Now I can take a modern car on an 8 lane freeway and get there in 5 hours!

Progress!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 11:22 am:

Gary, I'm one. When the cost of shipping doubles the price of the item, or worse, I pass. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 03:14 pm:

When I was living in the house I was in for 38 years, my address was 562. The house right before me on the mail carrier route was 424 (intervening streets and side yards). That house stood empty for close to a year so never got mail. When someone finally moved in, the mailman was so used to skipping that house that he walked past it and came to mine. When I collected my mail a short time later, it was all for 424. On a hunch, I went to across the street to 567, the next house on the route, and all of my mail was there. The mailman was so used to skipping 424 that he delivered everyone's mail from there on one house beyond where it was supposed to be. I tracked him down a block or so away, told him what had happened and suggested he come back and straighten out everyone's mail. He wasn't too happy, but it was his own damn fault. There's a reason we write the address on the outside of the envelope.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 03:17 pm:

I started this thread, not complaining about the postal service, but just amazed at how some things appear to be routed. Prior to the first order, I had bought another item from the same gentleman, in the same location. and it didn't take a Hawaiian vacation. It came straight to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 03:52 pm:

You're right, Terry. Okay, here's my distance story (although it's not a routing issue, but the fault of the sender). About ten years ago (I guess), Anja requested an absentee ballot for the Dutch national election coming up. It never showed up. About six weeks after the election, an envelope full of stamps and handwritten notations arrived. Apparently, the clerk sending out the ballots had a drop-down menu to fill in the name of the country where it was going. In Dutch, the name of this country is Verenigde Staten. My guess is that the clerk clicked one country too high and the ballot went to our street and city address, but in Vanuatu instead of the United States. According to Google Maps, they were off by about 7,300 miles. Someone in the post office in Vanuatu figured out that the address looked American and sent it on to the US.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 05:11 pm:

I have mentioned this before. My latest Vintage for got to me here in Australia via Germany and Singapore. My Model T Times comes weeks earlier directly from the US.

Allan from down under

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

Make that Vintage Ford!!!!
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 06:54 pm:

Alturas is a smaller community (pop. 3200) and the only incorporated city in Modoc County, California. If I mail a letter across town, perhaps eight blocks, it automatically goes to Reno, Nevada and comes back the next day....over 350 miles round trip.

There's an old joke where one guy comments "I heard it takes six weeks for a letter to get across Bejing, China!"

Other guy "I wish my mail service was that good..."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 10:16 pm:

I once heard this: "Everyone complains about the Post Office, but who else can get a letter from New York to Los Angeles for just a penny a day?" :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration