Accelerator rod too short?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Accelerator rod too short?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 12:06 am:

I am still very new to the model T universe. I recently bought a '26 roadster. When I bought it the guy told me the accelerator rod was home made and not long enough. So I ordered the right one from the Lang's catalog and put it on. Still doesn't seem long enough. It keeps the carb a quarter to half open when the rod is all the way up on the column. The carb appears to be an NH on a standard manifold/ non vaporizer.

What am I doing wrong?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 01:14 am:

The silly thing is, a lot of us could likely figure out what is wrong in about one minute up close and personal. But without a close look? It is mostly guesswork.
Could be the arm on the throttle handle-rod was replaced, and hole drilled was rotated slightly. The arm on the carburetor could be bent (I had one like that one time). The idle stop screw could be maladjusted. And maybe the new throttle rod you just got is defective. Is anything unusual with the manifolds that could change the length requirements.
I have never had a '26. Is the steering column set slightly more to the left than the earlier cars were?
One thing I do know. For most of the model Ts I have had? I have made my own, and made to fit the car. Now, about half of those cars were speedsters, and steering column placements or special manifolds or carburetors often required something special. But even with the few factory bodied cars I have had. The best fitting rods were slightly different from one to another. I quit wondering why.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 02:31 am:

I had one like that. I wasn't smart enough to figure out why, so I made one to fit. If you do that don't make it too long, or the throttle lever won't go to the top of the quadrant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 09:42 am:

There are slightly different length rods for 09-25 and 26-27. It is real easy for a vendors stock to get mixed up. I have worked on many cars that had the wrong length rod installed, so this is a common problem.

The bell-crank on the steering column and the one on the carb can also have 2 different length variations. So there are a few combinations of incorrect parts that can cause the issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 09:43 am:

The 1926-7 rod is longer than the early one, I would try this you might have the wrong year part, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 10:02 am:

Thank you for the input gentlemen. I am going back in the garage today to try and fix it, some how.

If I try to make my own rod what diameter size is the rod I should be looking for and what material, just steel or something else? I assume a hardware store should have it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Syverson on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 10:53 am:

Can anyone tell Scott what the correct length of a 26-27 rod should be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 11:20 am:

Make sure the lever on the column throttle shaft has not sheared the pin and shifted out of place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 11:28 am:

A mild steel rod from Lowe's or Home Depot will work Just fine. It may be a little bit wide but you can sand the end down to fit.
I ordered a rod from Langs or Snyder's, Ive forgotten which and it was a little short so I made a new one that is still a bit short.
Hopefully the next one will be right on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 11:38 am:

It could be that the throttle shaft lever is wrong for the year the rod was ordered for. They came in two different lenghts with the throttle rod to match. My 21 is the same way, maybe not that drastic, I live with it and really never have missed having that little extra as I never pull the lever down far enough to miss it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 11:38 am:

The diameter of both spark & throttle rods is 7/32" - not a hardware store item - I picked up 7/32 " drill rod from a bolt supply company.

As Bob eluded to above, the '26-'27 is the longer rod partly due to the fact the "Improved" car Holley NH throttle arm & choke lever are shorter on those carburetors then the earlier NH.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 04:38 pm:

Used to be, and likely sometimes still is, that the exact size rod could be found inside cable and wire reels. Years ago, I had a large supply of them, bolts about 14 to 21 inches long, threaded for less than 2 inches on one end. The threads were formed by a rolling "cutter" that raised the thread from an under-size rod, that happened to be the perfect size for spark and throttle rods. Unfortunately, some years ago, someone when I wasn't looking threw out about a hundred of those bolts that I had set aside, so I only have a handful left.
But if you know someone in the cable TV business?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 01:11 am:

I made my own rod today. A little nervous about it but it worked great.

Thanks for your help and info guys.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration