Baby it's cold outside

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Baby it's cold outside
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 10:59 am:

This morning I checked the temperature and it was -8 degrees. So I had to try the Model T and see how it would go. It sat out over night and was stone cold. I could hand crank it, but nothing more that some priming. The starter motor was on the slow side, with a pop but nothing more. After lifting the rear wheel off the ground and maybe 30 seconds on the starter the engine came to life. Let it warm up awhile and then drove it a few miles to warm her up. Geezzz.... it's cold in that car, even thou it's a TuDor. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 11:03 am:

Hi Mike, You get an A+ for effort and enthusiasm! :-) It was minus 10.5 degrees here just before dawn this morning. Brrrrr...

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 11:14 am:

Once or twice a winter we may get single digits for a day or two, but I've never seen the temperature here go south of 0ļ. You guys are welcome to it. I'm counting the 83 days to spring. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 11:19 am:

Hey guys....
We saw -18.5 degrees this morning! 'Just another day' up here for hardy Wisconsin souls. News reports say "Thundersnow" in the New England states. Tell 'em to "Duck!"????

"Happy T-ing!" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 11:40 am:

Thunder snow IS real, it is also extremely rare.

A link to a YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5S21BjHLog

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 11:54 am:

Whoo Hoo! It made it to 7 degrees! Working in a metal building is worse than outside. No sun and
no heat. Im with Steve. 83 days?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

I know exactly how you feel. Well maybe not exactly but pretty close. Itís time to go to work and itís down to 46. Iíll have to roll up the windows. ( sorry I just had to )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

I Think I dated a woman named ď Thundersnow ď in my youth.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

Ice and snow actually isian't all that bad,no bugs,no snakes,very few flies and it seldom burns!Sorry i just had to!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 12:30 pm:

Some of you guys are diehards. Not me. I probably won't even look at mine for three more months. It's 5* here now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

My wife is from Baraboo, Wisconsin. She often tells me of the 5-foot snows and the -20 temps. She lived on a farm and her parents were large animal vets. I shudder at the winter time stories. I'm happy to be a southern boy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

I'm with you Kenneth. I spent 12 years on a retirement farm in SW Missouri. Much rather have frozen ground than the Missouri gumbo.
People from Minnesota would retire down there and think that they were in the tropics.
Here in Tucson it went down to 28 the other day and we had to cover Mary's plumeria plants

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

I might as well add my sob story. 12:30 last night at 6 degrees below 0 the blower on my furnace quit. The service man can not find a replacement motor. Ran my gas oven all night until I got a electric heater today. At least not freezing and hope by tomorrow I can get new motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

Jim I had a furnace problem this year also. Mine chose a little warmer weather. You may as well go to the shop and build a fire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

8 below here today
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 02:40 pm:

Not to brag, but -42 with the wind chill here today. Could barely push the clutch pedal in to start my VW this morning and it was a moot point because the battery is too cold to crank the engine over anyways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

My God. Honestly guys I can not imagine what you are dealing with. I was born and raised here in So. Cal. and I now live in the high desert. It does get into the teens early in the morning but by 9 or 10 oíclock it is in the 40s and usually stays around 50 or 60s most winter days and I still complain about the cold. Well maybe not so much any more. I have never had to deal with your kind of cold EVER. You can keep it. Now I need to let the dog out so I will get my coat on and take him out. Itís down to 56 degrees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

Its -1 here now. When ever I feel bad about the cold I check Minnesota where my parents live. -11 there now. Whew I feel better now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

Scott, Joan and I grew up in Lancaster. Nice winters. We had -2 yesterday but it warmed up to 13 by noon. I took the Tudor out for a drive. Lots of fun. I do cheat by putting the KC Warford in neutral and it starts like a modern car. With my other cars I have to jack up the rear when it gets below 20.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

Here in Minnesota people stay healthier the colder it is. When it gets up to 30 or 40 degrees people start catching colds. Same affect on livestock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Duquette Grand Forks, ND on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

-18 here in North Dakota right now, it will be -24 degrees in the morning. Working in the shop tomorrow on my Model T project. Refreshing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

Just got in from taking the dog for about an hour walk and we are sitting at 9* let me tell you it's cold out there along Lake Erie. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

I just love it when the air tools freeze to your glove.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 11:57 pm:

I believe it was Tom Waits who mentioned that it was "Colder than a gut shot bitch wolf dog with nine sucking pups pulling a four paw trap up hill in the debt of winter in middle of a blizzard with a mouth full of porcupine quills".
Excuse the coarse language but that's how I heard it.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 12:21 am:

7 below in Helena Montana. I'm glad I sold my cows a few years ago. Wish I had a chubby girl to snuggle up to but don't so I'm gonna get my blankie and Teddy and go nite nite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 12:25 am:

I'm still basking in the memory that about four years ago, it was colder here one day than it was in Siberia. Yahoo!!! Who wouldn't want to win a contest like that???
Marshall @ +1 degrees and holding firm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 12:28 am:

We're in Davenport, Iowa, by the way.
M.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 12:50 am:

One morning last year it was ó83F in some parts of Seiberia.

I had two younger brothers and two older sisters.
Of the five kids I am the only one born in a hospital.
It was minus 38 that day where we lived in Wisconsin.
The other kids were born when it was much warmer and they could get a Dr. to drive the nine miles to our place.
I guess they took my mother into town and to the hospital before it was time for me to make an entrance into the world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 12:53 am:

That was supposed to be Siberia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 06:30 am:

Temperature -15, wind chill -35 this morning and that is here in southern Minnesota. Northern Minnesota you can double those numbers. Our cold spell won't be here until this weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 07:16 am:

I feel your pain....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 07:27 am:

Ok, it's a full blown contest! Who is going to claim the coldest temperature?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 07:30 am:

You think thats cold? Wait till I bring home another T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 07:45 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Voller (Aitkin MN) on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 08:52 am:

not to brag but my thermometer is setting at -29 mid Mn. May wait a little before feeding the cow's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 09:01 am:

Mike, all i can say is "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 09:24 am:

Tim, I can't win the contest because I live in the tropical part of Minnesota. I get warm breezes from Iowa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 09:29 am:

Geez! It's in the mid +20's here and everyone's calling it a deep freeze! I'm not happy either but I'm not sorry that I'm not where you guys are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 09:59 am:

Sunny and +6 degrees F in Hillsboro, MO this morning (a new record low for this location and date)! The barometric pressure is high off the scale on my barometer, I estimate it at 30.9 inches of mercury. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 12:04 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 01:03 pm:

Ron, We could use a plow just like that here every winter! It looks like a really good one....

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

Keith,

She does pretty good for 86 years old. Given the size of my driveway, shoveling would be quicker, but not as much fun. She's the only one of the fleet who's really "dressed" for the snow, so she keeps me from succumbing to cabin fever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

Sympathy for Jim in Reed City Mi. If you live where it gets very cold, you really ought to have "back-up" for heating and lighting. Before we added on to our pioneer shack, this was our main source of heat, along with the wood stove in the kitchen :

No motors !

I think it was the winter of '80/'81 temps were near -40F, wind chill brought it to near -80F . . . then the power went out. Other than having to pump water by hand, we didn't suffer much, but our neighbors were pretty miserable until the electric power came back on - backup home lighting system :

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 03:52 pm:

Thanks for the sympathy Rich. About noon I got a repair man to show up with a new blower and $150.oo later I have heat. 11 below 0 last night only got up to about 10 above today. Spent most of my childhood with wood burners like you show. Your belly burned while your butt froze.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coleman-Grand Marais MN/Detroit MI on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 04:19 pm:

weather station (PWS)

Pretty cold on the northern MN/Ontario border. Think I'll wait to start the T up. Oh, and I first have to figure out why the antifreeze in on the floor and not in the radiator ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

They used to call the weather "global warming" but now it has been one of the coldest winters on record. It's a good thing the name was changed to "climate change". Now no matter what happens, it is all our fault!

Here it is one of the driest seasons on record. If it doesn't rain in the next few days, we will have the driest December on record. It has even gotten cold here. It was about 31F a couple mornings ago. Now at 1:18 PM this afternoon it is 71F here. I had to water the citrus trees today because of no rain. The roses haven't gone dormant nor has one fig tree shed it's leaves yet.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

Jim thats good news. Glad that furnace is going. Net week sounds like the same as this week. Its 7 here now and -5 to -10 tonight. Im not going to try to start the T. I think I left the A/C on in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

59 degrees in the house!?!... HOLY CRAP!! ;)

Our L.R. is 73 with the gas fireplace going and I'm borderline cold still!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

Here in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas our "normal" winter cold spells are in the mid to high teens. Most of the cold hovers around freezing (normally) but they are predicting 3 degrees by Monday, for us single digits are rare. I have friends that live in Minnesota, they get some really cold temps up there. But they say the coldest they have ever been is just after daylight when the temp is around 32 degrees here in Arkansas. At the risk of someone saying Im crazy (been called that before) the cold is "different" here. It just soaks right thru your clothes and into your bones. Right now my "bones" are telling me to throw another log on the fire and stay in the shop till spring ... :-)

have fun and be safe ........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 08:10 pm:

Not sure how cold it has been the last few days, but this morning it got to my bones. I was out in the truck, and got a flat tire. Truck said it was -6oF. Took about 30 minutes to change the tire. Do a little work, jump in the cab to warm up, then repeat.

What sucks, in the last 25 year, I have had three flats, all this year. One on the T, while in the garage, luckily it was a bad valve stem core, easy replacement. The big travel trailer had a nail in a new tire in the driveway, easy to get fixed, and today which just sucked!

Well, I hope next year starts my next 25 year tire changing hiatus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 08:21 pm:

Currently it is balmy 6 degrees F here in Lovely Triadelphia, WV.

I am sitting in my truck amongst the other drivers - as usual I am the littlest big rig - that is the overnight forecasted low .....

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

Donnie, is your climate humid ? I think I know what you mean, it's been cold here, but today it thawed some, and it just felt like the cold was piercing ! Much more uncomfortable than when it was colder temperature-wise. All that firewood makes me feel warmer just looking at it, and the glow from your shop is really inviting !! Hole up 'til spring, good idea !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

I'm of the firm belief that if it's moist out, it feels colder. Much like humid heat in the summer feels hotter.
I was out this afternoon in the sunshine and replaced both the batteries in our moderns. Felt good out in the negative ions! Ahhh!
When done, I went in and soaked me and my cold feet in a warm tub! Ahhh. :-)
A lovely day here with little breeze and nice sunshine. Yeah, it's a little cold. 3 above right now. More cold coming.
At 15 below they were less than up to par this morning.
Had my modern plugged in last night and the car & key fob just laughed at me when I wanted it to start the blame thing.
It just flashed its lights at me.
Ugh, just go out. Neer, neer, neer, vroom die.

The wife's modern did the same to her. And then the mode actuator mucked up on her (defrost, floor or in your face). It did straighten out later.
Those modern GM actuators have a knack of failing... What happened to cables and levers? :-) Or even vacuum actuators...
We did see 39 below here in the mid? 90's. Dressed up, went out, puuuuuushed the clutch in on the old '69 Chevrolet pickup, started it and promptly killed the engine when I let the pedal out. Did it again. Went to work. It's a little cold. So what. :-)
:-) A nice still night (Stille Nacht), the moon is up and it's 20 some below, you can hear the lake making ice (tooommm ccccrick), and you're dressed for it?
Heaven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

Rich, yes it is the humidity and dew point that makes the difference. One of my friends from Minnesota bought a place to spend the winters in Arkansas, away from the brutal Minnesota winters. One day when it was about 38 degrees he was needing help to do something outside. So I went over to help him. I thought he was going to die :-) He kept say how the h#%% can it be so damn cold and miserable and only be 38 degrees. He said in Minnesota if it was 38 degrees he would not even have a coat on to work outside. We both had on coveralls. But it was a very humid/frosty day. The cold just cut right thru our clothes and straight to the bone ... .....

I just went out to the shop and put in a couple "night sticks" and "shut the stove down" for the night. So in the morning it will still be nice in the shop. I seem to get more "visitors" and "tourists" this time of the year. Something about a good wood heated shop that draws them in .... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

Donnie, I guess that explains why I've felt far colder in San Francisco at 50F in the fog than I ever did at home in Idaho at 10 below !! To paraphrase Mark Twain, " The coldest winter I ever endured was the summer I spent in . . . San Francisco !"
; )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 10:39 pm:

Is 10W-30 too thick for these temps? Good thing the news warns us about these low temps. :-)

weather

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 10:39 pm:

Can we have some optimism? Last week when a daughter visited, I walked her out to her car when she was leaving. Looked down, and a wooly caterpillar was crossing the walk. Perhaps the caterpillar was 'telling', or Mother Nature was revealing a flat out lie... Yup, it is still cold! But Spring is coming. Now that I say that, I find that wooly caterpillars just seek a place to 'hunker down' for the winter, can survive at -90F, be frozen in ice, and emerge in the Spring to make their cocoons. They're about as accurate for predicting the weather as the ground hog....
https://wonderopolis.org/wonder/can-woolly-worms-predict-the-weather

Take Care; Behave; Stay Warm; Happy New Year, (and)
"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

Marv,

Try as I may - ainít no way I could cut it as a wooly caterpillar - perhaps a wooly mammoth .....

Six degrees from motivation ....

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 05:05 am:

-26 here in northern WI yesterday morning. Both me and the Model T are hibernating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 10:27 am:

Amazing! Seems everyone, even Model T nuts love to talk about the weather. Oh, by the way, we are supposed to get on the plus side of zero today. Got to go to town and pick up the mail, with the T of coarse. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 11:37 am:

I was born in Milwaukee, WI and remember not to lick the steel pipe hand railing when it was below zero, but I remember also that a 40 watt light bulb under the hood could keep the engine warm even if parked outside. Now I live in Flagstaff, AZ where it can get below zero if it wants too, but hasn't yet this year, but my 40 watt bulb still works. It has been in the teens some nights but has also gone up to 60+ during the day. Not complaining but we could use some rain or snow up here soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 12:19 pm:

Talk about the weather? I feel for you guys...but have to share that I was out painting wheels in the driveway today, in a short sleeve shirt and shorts no less...

Iíll be back north to that 20 degree stuff soon enough ... and an unheated garage at that!

Indian Rocks FL

(There always has to be at least one wise guy)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration