Hubcaps: Why W?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Hubcaps: Why W?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

I found it pictured in the encyclopedia, but no explanation. Anybody?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

That might be the manufacturer....

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 02:05 pm:

Might be for Wilson-Hayes (1908-16). They were a Ford supplier of various sheet metal items.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

Yes, I asked about those letters awhile ago ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

Anyone seen an "X" on the bottom ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 02:34 pm:

R is for Rockford
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 06:08 pm:

R is for robert geez bob
The TT hub caps i had listed in parts for sale
All had W on them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

There are more letters than that guys. I've got a pile of NOS hubcaps. Been buying them for years, when you could get them cheap. Now you seldom see them, except on ebay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 09:07 am:

So a list of those letters are Larry? And what the letters indicate?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 09:55 am:

Larry, glad you were able to accumulate all of those hub caps before the hoarders got them! :-O

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 10:35 am:

A few years ago the Model T Times had a pice about hubcaps/grease cups. Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 11:22 am:

Mark, I am a hoarder! You and everyone else out there had the same chance to buy NOS hubcaps as I did, but you didn't do it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 11:38 am:

Awesome post Larry !! I see you haven't lost your special touch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Billy Vrana Kewaskum wi on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 11:49 am:

It's not hoarding if it's cool stuff,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

The difference between hoarders & collectors;

- Hoarders accumulate everything.

- Collectors however have a theme.

As to why the "W"? An "L" just wouldn't make any sense. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 05:27 pm:

But Jerry, "Y" not ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 09:46 pm:

I don't have the time to go through all of my hubcaps, but I just pulled out four. There are three X's, and one B. I've owned two '25 pickups, and have installed NOS hubcaps of both of them. I sold one, so that leaves me with one, and it of course has all NOS hubcaps with the original plating on them. I probably won't look at them tomorrow to see what the inscriptions are, but they are there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

My gosh Rich, you've got a real head scratcher there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 10:00 pm:

How many themes can you have before you become a hoarder? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

So . . . to be 100% original, with NOS hubcaps, do all four have to match, or can you have three "X's" and one "B" on the same car ??

Unless I misunderstand my dictionary, being a "collector" does not preclude being a "hoarder" . . . and a "hoarder" can certainly confine himself to one theme.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

NOT to muck this up, which plants tended to use the different lettered caps? Let's say, Milwaukee plant?
Verses Minneapolis, Detroit or Buenos Aries?
Sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

Rich, the encyclopedia says, "The unrestored 1917 'Rip Van Winkle' Ford had the earlier 'high F' style caps on the left side, and the later type on the right side." Sounds like another case of using up the old stuff while introducing the new stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 01:12 am:

I can remember seeing a five pointed star where the letter would have been.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 11:16 am:

Late T keys have similar inscriptions on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 11:19 am:

Steve,

I guess you can hoard themes as well... I'm doomed...

Rich,

If you're going to bring the "dictionary" into this, then I'll have to bow out. My BS is no match for the dictionary... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 10:54 am:

I was cleaning up my '25 yesterday for a tour tomorrow, and it has three X's and one W. I finally decided to check what I have, and here are some more letters: One has no letter, O,U,W,B,X. They must have been made well into the '30s, as a few of them are chrome plated, the rest are nickel.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration