Rim wind clock repair

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rim wind clock repair
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

I picked up a spare clock for the 12, the current clock has been running for the past 50 years and I think the main spring is weak. Now that I have a spare I can have it looked at,here in Winnipeg there is one shop but there is a 2 year wait. Is there a guy in the Model T world that does these Clocks. The clock was last serviced in 1962 and that was a cleaning. Any suggestions? Thanks Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

you might try David Lee in Delanson, NY....ph 518-372-2407....he did a clock for me and turned out great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry LaPatka- East Tennessee on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 04:53 pm:

Colin,
This gentlemen does all of my clock repair and service. He even makes some of the small parts that are no longer available. Great guy and reasonable too.
Time Mart Owner: Mike
5821 Spencer Highway
Pasadena, Texas. 77505
281-487-6645
281 487-6156

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles F. on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 08:22 pm:

I don't know too much but I do know that these kind of clocks have to be serviced every coupla years, like watches, to keep them from wearing themselves out...Good to see you found a clock fixer!

Currently I am in the same boat--took a mantle clock apart to clean it, got it nice and shiny inside, then found out I don't know how to get the springs back in. I can tame wild Victrolas, Brunswicks, and Edisons, but a mantle clock gives me the fan-tods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By WilliamThomas Forsythe on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 09:57 am:

Hello Colin: As a '12 touring owner, I just had to send you the name of a good clock repair fellow who is also a long time club member, namely: James A Golden of 2405 Belair Drive in Bowie MD 20715-2605. Tel: 301 464 0724
J1golden@aol.com Good luck with the repair. Mine has been running perfectly for the past 15 years.(I wind it up fully when we start on a outing, & regularly see it run for 8 or 9 days! Incredible after 105 years, what quality!original '12 rim wind Regards;Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 11:37 am:

Get a Waltham.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 12:37 pm:

Thank you gentleman once the spare gets here I will get the original serviced It is a Stewart and clark that matches the speedo it would run for 8 days but in the last years it has been run less and less it runs only 3 days now. I just don't like having to send it away. This one has had no repair other than one service in 50 years so it was the best 20 bucks Dad ever spent,the service on it was 15.oo dollars. I guessing it will be more now. Cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 02:03 am:

William, Tell us about your Tach!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By WilliamThomas Forsythe on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 12:02 pm:

Hi Gene:

I think I may have written up this story a few years ago, but for those who missed it, I'll go over it again.
After years of searching,in 04/13 I found on EBay the "New Old Stock" Vintage Stewart-Warner Mechanical Tachometer that was actually Mfg'ed in May'45.It had a black -steel enclosure, the dial is the early style and max. RPM 2500- ideal for our Model T Ford.(It also includes a maximum rpm achieved resettable indicator).Cost was but $100! I also purchased elsewhere, a 90 degree angle drive for the tachometer for $26.
To cut the story short; initially "I had presumed" that the angle drive was a 1:1 ratio. With suitable cables available from suppliers, I machined up a drive that I took through the front end of the commutator to give me cam speed, as we realize that most mechanical tachometers operate at the slower cam speed to produce the correct engine rpm readings. Only after completing this initial set up , did I learn to my chagrin that the ratio of this angle drive was in fact 2:1! Consequently RPM readings were half of reality!Back to the drawing board!
To correct my error I decided to drive the input cable to the angle drive, from the front of the crankshaft. (This would produce the correct input to the tachometer, while passing though the angle drive.)It since functions perfectly!
As our T is indeed an original '12 brass Touring, I wanted to match the tachometer enclosure with that of our Stewart Model 26 Speedometer which is a lovely brass case. I contacted a Mr. Knighton pknighton@cox.net-"Speedometer Repairs". He was indeed able to provide me with a good used Model 26 case. With minor machining I was able to shoehorn the tachometer into this twin case.(I'm very satisfied with the results.)
As far as the drive input is concerned: going back several years, I installed an '89 Geo-Metro 65 amp. alternator on the upper front corner of the head. To obtain enough traction of the fan belt to properly drive the alternator, I needed to install a complete set of serpentine pulleys and an 8 groove Poly belt- (the same 1-1/8" width as our original Model T belts- and flat on the outer surface!These are an excellent item, as with the belt not even tight, there is no slippage at all!)This arrangement has functioned flawlessly for 25,500 miles!)
Fortunately there was enough space available to install another 3.0" diameter serpentine pulley identical to that I mounted on the crankshaft- on the inner edge of the belt- properly mounted with two ball bearing races and easy adjustability of the tension against the belt surface. Since this correction the tachometer has never caused any problem. P.S. You may also have noticed my on dashboard my Vacuum Gauge that continually assures me of vacuum to my "Power Brake Booster" hidden under the floor!. Over the years I have installed four wheel hydraulic brakes on this machine! Great fun incorporating useful upgrades. My most recent was the indiscreet dash mounted Fuel gauge c/w Low Fuel warning light, but that's another story. Sorry but I'll have to reduce the size of the photos that I'll send later.
Regards, Tom

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration