Wood Steering Wheel - Painted?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wood Steering Wheel - Painted?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

I have a wood steering wheel. No markings on the spokes. I would like to clean it up and maybe finish with Wipe On Poly. My question is: Were wood steering wheels painted? It is a one pc. wheel with a splice. Not sure where I got this wheel.
Thank you, Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

The encyclopedia says they were painted black until the composition wheels.
http://mtfca.com/encyclo/S-T.htm#stw
You going to paint it? I hope not. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 06:01 pm:

Not going to paint it. I am a wood worker and I love wood. Sanding and cleaning up and will probably use Wipe on Poly for the finish. I use that on my wood turnings.

Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

What kind of wood is your rim and would you show a pic or two Paul?
For me and my light colored spare steering wheel (IF I EVER DARE clean it and coat it), I'd be using cherry red stain but that's me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 09:44 pm:

This is the one part on the car I did not restore. I just wiped some tung oil on it and polished it. Has that perfect used shovel handle feel to it. Does not look bad, even on an otherwise new looking car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

Why did you ask? If you aren't going to do it correctly, then go ahead and to it wrong!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

Hahahaha! Larry! Uh huh! This is one of those places where it looks much better if done incorrectly! :-)
:-) Alright you. What color will your steering wheel rim be when you get to your Coupelet? :-)
You know how to make a composite rim look great without paint! And yet you will paint the beautiful wooden rim?
Ribbing you incessantly! Oh garsh, you're gonna paint the darn thing ain't ya? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 11:22 pm:

I gotta say it. I am with Larry Smith on this. Yea, I know, they do look beautiful finished up all nice and "natural". But I like the early model T steering wheel the way they were originally, rim painted black.
If I want a "natural" finish wheel, I want an after-market wheel that came that way when new. And I only really like those on later Ts, black era or improved.
But that is silly ol' me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 02:28 am:

Obviously aftermarket. I'm leaving it wrong. But all the other wheels are right. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Gagel, Orange,Ct on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 04:52 am:

I have it covered both ways. A black wheel for shows, and a cherry stained one for everyday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

Duey C.
I am still cleaning and sanding. It looks good, but will not have any pictures for quite some time. I need to disassemble, blast and paint the spider. By the way, my wheel is a 2 pc. wheel just like posted by Jeff.

Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 03:16 pm:

Paul,

When you get it done, please post a photo so Larry can see how nice it is.

Enjoy your Model T and have fun! Glad to have you aboard! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 03:23 pm:

Itís funny how in the ďmodern ageĒ when high craft is hard to find people think that all wood is beautiful and should be strained and painted to reveal itís inherent beauty.

Here in Rochester all the builders at some point decided the interior trim on houses should be milled from gum wood. Itís an ugly wood and was used specifically for painted wood trim. Where I grew up in Eastern Pennsylvania we had a house built in 1740. The owners back then couldnít wait to stucco the outside to prevent drafts and to hide the low quality field stone. Then in the 1920s-1950s everyone stripped off the stucco to reveal the beautiful field stone! :-)

A lot of wood was meant to be painted ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 03:49 pm:

Mark O, People is funny things indeed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration