How many run without tires?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How many run without tires?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 01:07 am:

I've heard of some folks running without tires on their rims. Heard of lots of others say that their tires were flat and they had unknowingly been running that way. Just curious how common this is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 01:09 am:

L O L

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 01:24 am:

Thought you were going to talk about T rail cars.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/23673.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/621551.html?1457028077
LOL :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 01:25 am:

Tom, I might give that a try after I finish removing my u joint pin! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 08:17 am:

April fool's jokes I know about. Are there New Years jokes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 10:29 am:

No joke. "Coming in on the rim" was fairly common "back in the day". As a kid, making my first long-distance run (40 mi. ) I ran out of tires some five miles from my destination and had to come in on the rim. I was amazed that it made no difference to the "ride", and though I had to go about three miles on pavement, that much at least didn't ruin the demountable rim. After that experience, I always thought solid rubber tires would be great !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 11:02 am:

My wife's dads talks about our 14 we have that his dad bought new. After it became a second car and was basically a farmyard beater. They used two of the tires for on a trailer on the farm. He said if they needed to run out to the field they would just drive it out there on the rims, so yes people did drive them without tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 11:56 am:

I've found that running on a rim for a short distance, as after a blowout when you see your tire rolling past you, does no damage. I expect a longer distance at cruising speed would be a different story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

Now I have seen enough movies to know when the tire goes flat the car no longer will go. You cant move an inch or get away from a bad guy. Wait! Maybe back then they had'nt seen the movies? That makes sense why a car would still go with no tire! Carry on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 01:09 pm:

Think the ride will be smoother currently they have one flat side on the bottom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lester in Floyd, VA on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 04:26 pm:

I just ride on the ends of wooden spokes. There's some vibration, but you get used to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

There's a Laurel & Hardy film where they run around on rims for the whole flick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

Several years back a 15 year old kid stole a 2 wheel drive Ford Ranger from my town. He blew a front tire and kept going, he was on a frontage road next to the freeway at night and a cop on the freeway noticed the sparks flying and started chasing him. The tire and wheel stopped turning and they were going 70 MPH, he wore every thing down to the lug nut , wore the bottom off the suspension on that side. I know this because I had to fix it in my Body Shop. The next car he stole, he rolled it and was killed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

rope

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Barcelona area (Spain) on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

Hey Tommy, funny you should mention it. Today (28 December) is "April fool's day" in Spain!

This did not occur on April Fool's, but I do recall being summoned by my boss to assess the damage on a high level manager's car one morning. It had been driven about 10 miles on a flat tire and had been left in the parking garage which simply reeked of burned rubber. The tire had given way and the wheel rim was destroyed. The ABS brake sensor wiring had been severed by pieces of the tire running past and breaking it. We couldn't imagine what other drivers must have seen as this car drove along on the highway with a totally flat tire. The rubber that was left did actually stay on the rim so that gave the car some stability I guess...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

True story.
Over twenty years ago, I ran a system's service call way out in the central valley. Many miles of orchards cut through by a two lane country road. When I was about half way across, a car was going the other direction, no wheel on the left front, being driven on the brake disc. I continued on, about a half hour. The task repair was a simple one, taking maybe another half hour. Then I headed back on the same road. As I neared the end of the road cutting through the many miles of orchards, there he was, still doing about 15mph. Just before my entrance to highway 99, he turned onto another country road, last seen heading North parallel to the highway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

Back in the '90s my boss had a flat on the rear wheel of his front drive Cadillac way out in the middle of upstate NY. He drove on the alloy rim to the next exit, some miles away. By the time he got there the rim was almost gone and so was the brake drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

Well, I guess this is proof winter is here. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

Thinking the same thing Dan. I can hardly wait till February.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 11:00 pm:

On my 14 I had a flat on the left rear about a mile from home. The tie at the time was 50 years old and hard as a rock. By the time I made it home the tire had softened up to the point it was quite plyable and easy to dismount,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 12:53 am:

The 29 International speedster here ran me around on the front, cast, 6 spoke rims for awhile when I was a teenager.
I later changed the front axle out for a straight one that was under a '63 Falcon.
Winter's here. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick-Ypsi, MI on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

The tractor that I have ran on just it's front rims. I could tell by the condition of the rims that it had been that way awhile. It would not surprise me at all, if farmers that turned the Model T's into farm only vehicles running without tires on the front. I couldn't see it working for the back. But, if someone was mainly driving on dirt and grave, then I could see it being just the rims in front.

Patrick
Ypsi, MI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt cwynar on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

Not a model t but. I had a lady come into the shop once that said she came out to her car in the garage to notice that her tire was gone. She had remembered feeling a “good” bump on the highway the night before it must had blown then. Witch ment she drove her car down the highway 10 miles with no tire. When I got the car the tire was totally gone except for the bead and a small lip that folded over the lip of the rim. I couldn’t believe the rim was fine except some scratches on the back side. She had already ordered a new rim figuring that one was bad so the one became a spare. It was a VW cabrio with low profile tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 11:16 pm:

I run two of my T's without tires.
trtrt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Peternell on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 05:46 am:

My contribution.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration