Did anyone know Jerry Linder?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Did anyone know Jerry Linder?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 07:05 am:

Greetings! A fellow named Jerry Linder restored my 1911 touring car back in the 50s and I'm trying to learn more about him. The PO told me he was from central CA, started with an original car, did the restoration, and then toured it. The earliest tour badge is the 1958 Central California Fresno Regional Group Hearst Castle Tour. The last badge is from 1969. He seems to have done a wonderful job on the restoration, and the car remains in excellent condition. (I have not yet done a deep dive on it. Like Reagan said, trust but verify.) Did any of you guys know him, or know this car? Cheers, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 07:35 am:

He is mentioned in this 1965 newspaper article.
https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=MT19650112.2.30

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 07:43 am:

He is mentioned as well as his 1911 on page 14 under Central California in the 1966 Horseless Carriage Gazette
http://www.ddvvmc.com.au/librarydocs/HorselessCarriage_vol28no1.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 07:49 am:

He is also mentioned in the 1911 in this parade in 1965
https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=MT19651004.2.2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 10:03 am:

That is a name from the past. Jerry and my dad were good friends. I never visited his shop or even rode in any of his cars, but my dad thought a lot of him. That says a lot.
Don A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 10:44 am:

From 1961 Madeira Tribune; stating that he was from Fresno.

“1961 HORSELESS CARRIAGE SWAP MEET SUNDAY
Horseless carriage enthusiasts will converge upon Madera at the , District Fairgrounds this Sunday for "horse trading." Members of the Central California Regional Group of the Horseless Carriage Club of America are holding their annual swap meet here for all antique car fanciers and interested persons in the community, according to Sanford Grover president of the Central California Regional Group. Swap meet chairman Frankie Alberta. Madera, will be assisted by Jack Campbell and Jerry Linder, both of Fresno.”

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 06:10 pm:

Ed, you are a wonder. Dialed into California history for sure! Many thanks, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

I now feel old. I attended many a swap meet in Madera. Not in 1961, but started in 1963. We were good friends with Jack Campbell and I still see Frankie who lives in Oakhurst. Frankie rode with me on an Endurance Run in about 1990. We also knew Sandy Grover.
Don A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 11:38 pm:

Capt Bob Strieter was the President of the Fresno HCCA regional for a number of years. He too lived in Oakhurst until he got smart and moved to Washington State.

He often reads this site and maybe he can offer some insite. Also one of the oldest members of the Fresno group is Aggie Young. She resides in a senior home near downtown Fresno. She has a great memory and would surely know about your car. Bob has her address and phone number.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 04:07 pm:

My thanks to all for these leads. If anyone has anything to add, fire away! Happy New Year, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Rootlieb on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

Jerry lived on a ranch on the outskirts of Oakhurst on Hwy 41. He had a large barn where he kept a collection of 1933 Fords. He had every model of 33 that I can remember, including the elusive “ shirtless Victoria”. I bought a 33 phaeton and a 33 station wagon from Jerry at different times and remember he bought a beautiful 33 Victoria hot rod built by someone else that was perfect in stance and presentation. Jerry knew nice cars and required such for himself. I remember seeing the 1911 touring covered in his garage and looking under the cover to see a very nice car. The last I knew, I thought the car went to his son after Jerry passed from a stroke. And I want to say that remembering back the car had come from the Fresno area, but I could be mistaken, this is going back 40 yrs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

Tom, Do you know if that 1911 touring that Jerry had was the one Bob Dugles, (? sp), from Hanford Ca restored in the late 60's or early 70's ? This was before he restored the 1909 roadster. Bob would always drive the 1911 in the Hanford Christmas parade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 02:35 am:

Tom, I found the Vintage Ford issue that had the cover picture of Bob's 1909 T roadster. It was the May-June 1976 cover and in the July-August issue on page 40 it talks about Bob Douglass and the 1909 roadster cover picture, but doesn't mention Bob's other cars, all of which Bob restored himself. As I remember he had a 1920 coupe, 1915 touring, 1911 touring and the 1909 roadster. The 1909 roadster won best of show at the Fresno concourse car show in 1976.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration