Ruckstell thrust bearing from MAC's

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ruckstell thrust bearing from MAC's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 10:44 am:

I could be opening a can of worms but I am going to ask anyway. This IS NOT a question about your experience or service from MAC's.

Has any one used this bearing;

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_model_t/model-t-ford-ruckstell-radial-ball-be aring.html

I just ordered two of them. I will have to do some comparison when I get them with the one I took out of the rear end. One will be for my stock and the other will be used in low use coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 11:12 am:

I would be hesitant on that one! That bearing must be a thrust bearing. If you go to a bearing house, they are over $200. I get mine from Glen Chaffin, and even his are now around $100.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 11:23 am:

Well, it does appear to be an angular contact bearing, with a definite thrust side. Probably just a cheap Chinese version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 11:24 am:

Mark,

The advertising/description says RADIAL ball bearing. Nothing about being a THRUST bearing. I share Larry's sentiment: Thrust, ball bearings are more expensive that the one in the Mac's ad.

I have NOT used this bearing so I do NOT know for sure one way or the other. If I was going to use this one as a thrust bearing, I would have Mac's verify it was good for that usage. Then if anything went wrong, you would have Mac's to fall back on.

Good Luck,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 11:31 am:

Terry,

There's the photo cut, (above), taken from Mac's website. But, you're correct in that the word "thrust" is not used in their description.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 11:35 am:

Glen list one at $88 and the other at $125 in the catalog I have. The number on the illustration is 7212. Not sure if that is double or single thrust type. I wonder how it compares to Chaffin's $88 bearing or the one from Lang's which I think is the same price?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 11:40 am:

The one shown in the MAX cut says Made In USA and CUB(?) also. If I don't like what I see when I get them they will go back so this is still very much up in the air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 11:40 am:

Mister thrifty loves low prices, but in this case I'd be afraid of getting what I paid for. In the case of front wheel bearings, a Timken 09075 from one dealer for a high price is the same item as a Timken 09075 from another dealer for a lower price. But in this case my question would be whether it's the same bearing I'd get from Glen, and if it isn't why is it so cheap? I'll be working on a Ruckstell myself, so I'll be interested to see if anybody posts actual experience with this bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

Here's the specs on an SKF 7212. Different mfr., but should be the same bearing;

http://www.skf.com/group/products/bearings-units-housings/ball-bearings/angular- contact-ball-bearings/single-row-angular-contact-ball-bearings/single-row/index. html?designation=7212%20BECBP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 12:30 pm:

If you enlarge the picture you can see the Manufacturer is CJB. That bearing is mfg by CJB in China. Don't know how they get by with saying made in USA.

"Cojinete Bearings (CJB) is a professional middle and large size bearings manufacturer in China. Found in 1995, Cojinete Bearings (CJB) is specialized in manufacturing Spherical Roller Bearings, Tapered Roller Bearings, Cylindrical Roller Bearings, Deep Groove Ball Bearings, Thrust Ball Bearings and Angular Contact Ball Bearings."

So, is your time worth taking a chance to save $50-60.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 12:46 pm:

Well, if the bearing is made in China, as it definitely appears to be, and says "Made in USA" on it, that's all I need to know about it. What can you trust about it, or Macs, after that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 06:32 pm:

Jerry, Mac's are not orphans in passing off stuff made overseas as made in USA. Our own respected suppliers do the same.

It would seem to me to be a regulatory problem. If there is no regulation and no-one responsible for enforcing such regulation, then we consumers are being misled. Country of origin labeling should be mandatory to allow consumer to support their own manufacturers.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

You can buy them all day long off ebay for $30-75. The part number you need is 7212 becby. That is a radial thrust bearing. All bearings are sized in metric. This bearing is 110 x 60 x 12. Outer/inner/width. I just bought a couple SKF for about $75 for 2 plus shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 08:42 am:

I have bought all mine from Langs and had no problems with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 10:06 am:

Most all of the old style Ruckstell bearings actually say Thrust Side on the bearing, but I've noted that isn't the case with a lot of new ones. BTY Stan, what does becby mean?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration