Does DS stand for Dodge Supply?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Does DS stand for Dodge Supply?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 11:47 am:

Hi All

I am working on a 1915 Canadian Ford roadster and finding several parts and even some tools marked with "DS" in a partial circle.

From checking some older threads there is some thought that the DS stands for Dodge Supply and would date to the time after the DB to when Ford starting making more of the parts. This time frame being from about 1914 to around 1918.

I would be interested to here what the current opinion is for identifying the maker and date of the parts.

Here are pictures of a hubcap wrench with the DS mark. The same mark is on the transmission pedals and some other parts.

Thanks

Jeff
Nova Scotia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

I thought a Google search might find it, but no such luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

Douglas Stroodell, the first owner???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

Gary, The first to buy a Dodge or did the Dodge Brothers buy the company from Douglas Stroodell ? Thanks, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 11:56 am:

Dominion Stamping was a key supplier to Walkerville.

May be the answer, and ten again maybe not :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

By George, you may have it George!!! I have seen the DS on quite a few different parts on our Canadian sourced parts, and some are later than the era when the Dodge brothers were supplying Henry.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

From the Book " In The Shadow of Detroit " by David Roberts.

Describing Canadian Companies that were operating at the time of Ford Canada's early beginnings.

John Page, Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 11:18 am:

Hi All

Dominion Stamping sounds right. But how about this. Canadian Lamp and Stamping were making the lamps and pressing sheet steel starting about 1914. How far would Dominion Stamping get in setting up in Canada in 1914/15 and would it be pressing sheet steel or stamping forgings by then?

Here is another picture of the DS mark on the lettered transmission pedal which would date 1914 or early 1915 and would be a forging.

By the way, all the pedals have the DS on this car and its right hand drive which was still current in Nova Scotia up to 1923.

I am also looking forward to reading the book on McGregor. I have a copy coming via the used book site ABE books.

Jeff
Nova Scotia

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration