Looking for a 1911 touring top boot pattern

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Looking for a 1911 touring top boot pattern
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 12:51 pm:

I know that there is no documentation that 1911 Fords came with top boots. However, I have seen many original photos of 1911 wars with top boots. They might be aftermarket, but they all seem to look about the same, with a "flap" on the top with two fasteners. Here are a couple of photos of cars along with a photo pf the November 1911 book showing an artist's rendition of a top view of probably a 1912, but most of the original 1912 photos show the "flap" on the bottom.

Does anybody have a pattern of/or an original or aftermarket top boot that I may borrow, be, steal, or buy?

Thanks,

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 02:32 pm:

Hello Keith You have the same problem I have I have lots of pictures but no original boot to take a pattern. My 12 has the original tie downs under the seat there are only 2 never one in the middle but most of of the pictures show 3. We have an 11 and 12 in the Elkorn museum, they are close til June, so this will be a spring project. Cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Poffenroth on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

Keith,
If you find a pattern and do drawings to reproduce, Iíll buy a set. Or Iíll pay you to copy for me as well.

Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Gagel, Orange,Ct on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 03:37 pm:

Mark from Classtique made me one for my '14. Came out great. Looks like the one in the top pictures. He made mine with the three tie downs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 04:37 pm:

Hello Keith:
I hope you can obtain a good boot example that fits your car. If not, I recommend building a facsimile/pattern using cheap light gage cloth, where this is precision fitted to your lowered top. With photos of a correct original showing finish details, a quality upholsterer can use this to build you a nicely fitted custom boot. My concern is that these tops are subject to tolerance and other variations, where a fitted boot may fit/look better than perhaps a standard pattern would? At approx. 200.00 with the customer providing the fabric...I would be inclined to make my own pattern, concerned that I did not do this work twice ( I must admit I have am embarrassing history with this type of boo-boo).
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 10:31 am:

Keith: I've made several of them. All the originals I've ever seen have the flaps on top. I only have one early style boot, and it's for a '13 roadster. If you are going to make it yourself, pay attention to the angle of the front top bow to the bottom. If it's straight, no problem. If there is an angle you have to make a paper template to get the angle correct. The last early style cover, (boot), was used in 1915. After that they went to the new style with no flap all the way to 1922 when they discontinued them. I have lots of pictures if you are interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By WilliamThomas Forsythe on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

To stray somewhat from the initial subject I would like to pass on a piece of work that has brought me much satisfaction over the years. I'm speaking of a custom tonneau cover for our '11 or '12 Ford Tourings. This addition to the originally copied Top Boot allows us to run in light to medium rain, wherein the windshield protects the front compartment and the Tonneau cover keeps everything dry in the rear.(The rain runs right on out over the top surface of the top boot.) More important and very practical indeed for just my wife and I, is that all our belongings on the rear floor or seat, are hidden "out of sight" when we stop into a restaurant for dinner and the car is unattended.
I've done this upgrade on two '12 touring in the past few years. We "wouldn't leave home without it!"  Top Boot & Tonneau cover on Guy's '12Top Boot & Tonneau Cover on Toms '12 All for the love of Model T Fords. Tom Forsythe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

Keith I use cheap white muslin available at any fabric store to make up a pattern. I use pins initially and then stitch it with large stitches. Once it is done I bring it someplace to make up the final piece. That is how I did the Cambridge windshield for my speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

I have a 1915 roadster, and I would be interested in getting copies of Larry's photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By WilliamThomas Forsythe on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 12:51 pm:

A couple of years ago I did a new top and Top Boot for a friend for his 1919 Touring. I always include three straps as in the photo, in an effort to prevent the top boot from catching the wind at highway speeds and ballooning all out of shape! In this regard, the centre strap does a good job indeed! Enjoy! TomTop boot with 3 straps!Fasteners on the lower edge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 01:18 pm:

Those are pretty nice. I've been wanting one for my 1912 Maxwell. I was hoping to find someone close to try theirs on my car. I'm really thinking now that there are so many variables that It will have to be custom made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

Tom-
Very nice.

Elhanan Parkes, The first owner of my car from 1911-1935 had a rear tonneau cover, but made for while the top was up.

Your 1912 top boot looks good. In the photos that I have seen, the flap on the 1912 top is on the bottom, like yours, and the 1911 has the flap on top.

Still looking for a pattern...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 12:12 am:

Keith: I'm going to disagree with you on the 1912 flap. I have a photo of a '12 runabout with the flap on top. Why would they change the flap position for only one year? I've been researching top covers, (boots), for years, and I'm going to stand firm on my opinion. As far as the 1913 top covers, (boots), There were two manufacturers of them. They are similar, but the assembly of the flap to the top part of the cover is different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 12:48 am:

I have seen '12s both ways...

Where is the flap in 1913?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 12:50 am:

Sorry about the double picture.

Here is another.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By WilliamThomas Forsythe on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 02:19 pm:

Hi again Keith:

Our tonneau cover can indeed be in place with the top up or top down with no problem at all. So as not to detract from the original appearance I specifically selected the location for my brass eyelets to meet the positions of the original Murphy fasteners- only had to add one on each side -. The rear edge of this tonneau cover was something of a challenge to keep it nice, flat & straight and intimately against the top boot- (when top is down)- so the rain would run off and away out the rear. I resolved the problem by installing a full width zipper. One side of the zipper is on the tonneau cover, the other on the top boot, hidden by a 2-1/4" wide strip. See the photos! I also encased on the under side of the tonneau cover, parallel to the zipper, 2 aluminum strips 0.030" x 1-3/8" x 22" in length, near the rear edge to keep it flat. I left an unsupported area of about 3 inches wide in the center so that we can fold the tonneau cover on the center line, and pack it up when not in use. Frankly , I run with it in place 90% of the time as the air flows very freely over its surface- more streamlined & less drag! Great fun!

Have a Happy New year! Tom Forsythe'12 top boot detail (1)'12 top boot detail (2)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration