Generator Brush Questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Generator Brush Questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

So one day, Lizzie's generator gave up the ghost and quit charging. I did all my usual checks (checked wiring, cutout, etc.,) and found that the generator just plain quit putting out.

I pulled it out and tested it to see if it would run as a motor. No dice. It was time to pull it apart. After taking it all apart, I checked the armature, and it wasn't shorted or grounded. I eventually found out that the second large brush holder (the one that isn't supposed to be grounded) has shorted to the case.

I drilled out the rivets, and pulled it off. The fiber had disintegrated, allowing the brush holder to short out.

I see that Snyder's sells the new fiber. However, the rivets that hold down the brush holder are part of the brush holder, meaning that they can't be replaced. Snyder's sells the third brush holder, but not the others.

My question is, what is to be done about this? Is there a way to reattach the old brush holder to the new fiber/brush plate, or is a new brush holder in order? If so, where can I find one? Did I screw up by drilling out the rivets?

Bad brush plate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Shore on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

I have drilled the rivets and tapped them with a
6-32 tap. then use a 6-32 x 3/8 screws to reattach the holder to the ring. I also use short 1/8 inch pop rivets to attach the insulators to the ring. The insulators that Snyder's has are very good, they are not a fiber but a circuit board type material so they hold their shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

I 2ed that^ except I use shorter screws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 05:36 am:

You would normally use the indentation of the rivet to drill with a #36 drill bit. The indentation helps guide the bit where it needs to drill. Then tap as the above comments specify.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 05:37 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/84556.html?1238111487

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

New brush holders are available.
I have tapped old ones and put in new ones, depending on their condition.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration