Loose spokes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Loose spokes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson_graham nc on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 06:14 pm:

I have one wheel on my 24 touring with loose spokes. The other three are good I think this one
Was exposed to the weather sometime in its life.
It was tight but the cold and some driving has the spokes loose. Do the spokes sold by the fenders
Fit ok? Thanks philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 06:22 pm:

Yes, but be aware that wheels with Kelsey felloes or Hayes felloes take a 1/32 inch longer spoke than other manufacturers.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2800HS-HY.aspx

Please post a good picture of your wheel and rim so that we can see what you have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson_graham nc on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

Ok I will post a pic tomorrow. My wheels are 21 inch demount. If that helps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 07:46 pm:

Yes, that helps. According to Lang's website, there is no variation in 21 inch wheel spoke length, but there are two sizes of tenon, 1/2 inch and 5/8 inch. You will have to look at the ends of your current spokes to determine which size tenons you have.

Can one of the experts chime in on whether a late 1924 car could have come from the factory with 21 inch wheels?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson_graham nc on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

I would be interested in knowing if the wheels are correct. The car has a 24 engine in it that I assume is the one that came in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

What is the engine serial number?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Bunyip on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

There are actually two different 21” spokes with different 1/2” tenons.

One tenon is 0.57" in diameter the other is 0.52" diameter.

When I redid my wheels last year Snyder’s spokes were 0.52” and Lang’s spokes were 0.57” at the tenon.

The 0.52” tenons suit Canadian rims. I imagine that using the 0.52” spokes on USA rims would not give as good a fit as the 0.57” spokes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

Philip, in what way are your spokes loose ? Sometimes just cinching down on the hub bolts will correct some "looseness" Easy done on front wheels, rear wheels would have to be pulled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

If the tennons are good remove the flange plate
Shim the spoke outward fill voids in with resin or quikpoly
Or us a spoke jack and shin at the tennons

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson_graham nc on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

I may try shims but the wood is not the best.
I will post the engine number tomorrow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 12:36 am:

21 wheels are easy to redo or pick up cheap decent used one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 12:40 am:

Everyone who knows model Ts engine number only tells you that year the BLOCK is
Go by your tire sizes after many years and car unless it was kept car known history
Parts where interchanged through out the years

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 04:51 am:

If the tenons are just loose side to side and not end to end, they can sometimes be tightened up by simply screwing in a wood screw in the end to spread the tenon out. Works pretty good. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson_graham nc on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

My engine number is 9645524

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 05:49 pm:

Engine number 9645524 was one of 7804 engines assembled on April 3, 1924, which is in the middle of the 1924 model year.

Assuming that your car still has its original engine (only an assumption, a lot can happen in 93+ years!), your car would have been built some time between a few days and a month or more after that date.

I was under the impression that 21 inch wheels with "balloon" tires were not available from the factory (as an option) until the 1925 model year, which started in August 1924.

However, a prior owner (maybe decades ago) could have switched to the 21 inch wheels. The car will run fine with them, whether to swap them out for 30 inch rims is a personal choice. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson_graham nc on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 07:23 pm:

Well I am going to need tires someday mine have good tread but they are old sears allstates. I may switch up

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration