Roadster Pickup Boxes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Roadster Pickup Boxes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

Prior to the introduction of Ford offering factory made steel pickup boxes the option was buying an aftermarket wood pickup box from a body / carriage builder. Iíve seen several of these original boxes on line, both on runabouts and cut down touring cars ... and as trailers. Some seem really short and others longer. Some have extra iron mounted boards mounted on the sides ... some donít.

I am buying an original box and I would like to hear from those who have original boxes to know the typical lengths.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

I have a commercially built five foot box that came off a 1918 roadster.

Period advertising I have seen typically list five foot and six foot boxes.

In my opinion, five feet give or take a few inches is the ideal length as far as appearance is concerned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 07:52 pm:

Ford metal bed, '26-'27 56" long

Mifflinburg wood bed, 20's 58" long

Fahnestock's Ford Owner bed plan 55" long

Pretty sure these are typical :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Dang it Dan, now you've got me hankerin' for a useful bed on my roadster. I flirted with the idea last winter while I had her in to restore rotted wood in the turtle deck . . . I didn't do it then, because the deck and the restoration is really nice the way it is. After a summer of using Liz, she'd be a whole lot more helpful around the place as a pickup . . . these are really nice examples you posted, how can I pass up the materials list with full instructions ?? Sweet !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 11:53 pm:

I have a '25 with a factory box. They show up somewhat often. Lots of work, even for a good one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 02:17 am:

Mark - A couple years ago, I bought what I think is a pretty nice '23 Roadster/Pickup at an estate sale, at a price that was almost unbelievable. It has a very nicely built and finished wood pickup box that to me, seems to have just the right proportions. Also with the Roadster/Pickup is a matching little utility trailer built of Model T wheels & parts that is almost the same size as the pickup box. They're both 38" wide with flair boards along the top of the sides; the trailer box is 55" long and the pickup box is 54" long. As I said, I didn't build them, but I think the size is perfect,.....FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 08:22 am:

WORKING DRAWINGS & DIRECTIONS FOR BUILDING A SLIP-ON BODY FORD FORD ROADSTERS PERIOD BROCHURE

Here's the link to the brochure I posted on Modeltfordfix:

https://modeltfordfix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=328

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 08:54 am:

Mine is 52" long, including the tailgate. It is remade from a store-bought aftermarket bed using the old iron hardware and new wood. One of my local Model T buddies has an original from the 20's which is the same length. You can see mine on my profile page. (I added the curve at the front to mimic the curve in the body.)

And BTW, I've had T's in several body styles, and I like the RPU the best. :-)

(Message edited by coupelet on December 30, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Mark,

You should add this to your car...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 09:19 am:

Here are some pictures of the box I'm buying.

Box 1

Box 2

Box 3

Ox 4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 09:22 am:

Looks very much like the style #141 that Dan posted above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 09:34 am:

As you restore this, please take note that virtually all of these were painted rather than varnished and few, if any were made of oak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 10:13 am:

Tailgate latches don't get any easier than that, do they?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 10:56 am:

I plan to add just a little more "aged" paint to the outer panels. Want the "as found" look to match my runabout but also need to preserve what's there without too much intervention. Will rub oil and wax on the worn wood surfaces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 11:46 am:

That box does look like the Mifflenburg "141". I especially like the fit of the box side panels to the roadster body's recurve. I wonder, how regular is that profile from 1913 - 1924 ? If I make one, it will have to fit up to the body like this !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 11:47 am:

I forgot to add, one detail that kinda stopped me, what to do with a kerosene tail lamp ?? I guess a guy could run without one . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

I bought a vintage touring car type bracket that attaches under the body. I think it could be heated and bent to work under the back of the box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

Very nice pickup box! :-)
An original I have is 53" overall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 02:13 pm:

Mark, what are your measurements, it looks bigger?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 03:14 pm:

Some cool hardware

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 03:15 pm:

Some cool hardware. Not sure who makes it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 03:51 pm:

If it were me I'd be inclined to make up a license plate/light bracket that takes advantage of some hardware already on the box for attachment. Since it's all aftermarket stuff anyways there are no wrong answers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 04:07 pm:

Here's the bed on our 15 roadster. It's 51 inches long by 33 inches wide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

Nice box Jay, thanks for showing it !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

Love these things....but how do you access the battery?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

Jay's T is a '15, what battery? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

On my '23 cutoff, the farmer made bed had two of the boards fastened with screws.

To get battery access, drop the tailgate, remove the screws and the two boards slide out from under the wood end board at the body. :-)

This bed measures 55" long x 43 1/2" wide x 10" deep.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration