Wheel Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wheel Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn W. Beers / Kunkletown, Pa on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

I am rebuilding the rear end on my 1923 Hack. I had to put in new axles and rear hubs. The spokes in the rear wheels looked to be tight, when taking the wheel apart to install new hubs the tenon on one spoke is broken. The question is with the wheels apart would you guys refinish the old spokes and replace the bad one or install all new spokes ?

Thanks
Glenn W. Beers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 05:40 pm:

You have to wonder how a tenon broke. Was it brittle? Are the others in the same shape? I'd lean toward replacing them all, but I'm not looking at it first hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 07:21 pm:

If it were me and I already had the wheel apart, I would install all new spokes. If the budget precluded that, I would carefully inspect each spoke and replace any that looked suspect. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn W. Beers / Kunkletown, Pa on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 08:15 pm:

I am going to get new spokes. I have rebuilt motor,trans,steering column, new bearings in front wheels, new wiring, coils, spring bushings and a hole lot more in it. So what is a few more $$$$$!!!

But man it has been fun can't wait to drive it.

Thanks
Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 09:42 pm:

I can't wait to see pictures of you driving it Glenn! :-)
Ya, the end result is amazing! And my good one still needs a lot! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration