Cleaning out the garage - OT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Cleaning out the garage - OT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 11:36 pm:

I need to clean up the garage more often. I found things that I had not seen for a while.

The little steam engine has been on my workbench for several years.
I also found a couple of take-apart spark plugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 12:22 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 12:55 am:

I used to know the brand of that engine!
Very nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 02:37 am:

there's a good chance that cord was a resistance cord, that reduced the power to the coil under the boiler. Not certain where you can get those today. But don't go putting a modern cord on their thinking you can get it running again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 08:23 am:

I was always amazed at how much stuff I could find, that I didn't realize I had :-) Most typically for me it was multiples of tools. Nice find Tommy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 09:21 am:

Possibly a Weeden engine. Many years ago Santa brought me a Jensen model 60. I burned up a lot of Esbit fuel in it. It is also in my garage.
Happy New Year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 11:04 am:

Looks like it's sitting on a '40 Chevy fender.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 11:33 am:

The boiler looks like it was made from an acetylene generator. ?!? Maybe ? Neat !! Model steam engines are a lot of fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

Yeah, the background is a '40 Chevrolet two-door sedan. We've had the car 35+ years. It has a '62 261 six and a later fully synchronized three speed, open drive transmission and a 12 bolt rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

Ive seen the electric boilers, but never had one. I wasn't aware of the resistor cord. Interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 03:37 pm:

I've seen bunches of these engines over the years and have never heard of a resistor cord. I know cords on all old electric items looked different than modern cords. I have a couple of other engines but this is the only electric.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 03:45 pm:

We might better let this conversation die. It could be considered baloney.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

NO baloney here, not any in my fridge either! I have one somewhere in the garage--don't know which one, nor which stack of boxes. As I recall, the cover cloth on the cord was black with a white tracer, presumably to identify it as a resistance cord. Yes, the cord gets warm in use. I wish I'd measured one for the ohms reading as it just occurred to me that one could just make a small box with resistors in it and wire the box to a regular cord.
Those of you on high-speed connections can google it, maybe there's more info out there.
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

I uncovered some more goodies from days gone by.(or is it days gone bye?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 07:05 pm:

I think it's "days gone bye-bye". ; )
What a nice collection of tools - !!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration