T Oil Tail Lamp LED Conversion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: T Oil Tail Lamp LED Conversion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

I figured I'd share today's project with you all. An LED conversion for the oil tail lamp! Unfortunately, I didn't even think to take pictures of the LED unit that I made before I potted it, so I don't have any pics of the board to share.

This conversion is a running/brake light. It consists of 86 red 5mm LEDs. Every two LEDs are hooked in series and connected through a 120 ohm resistor, for a total of 43 resistors. It's designed for 6 volts.

It simply slips into the T oil lamp, and you run the wires out the top through the chimney (or however else you'd like). It is super bright and works great!

I haven't quite finished putting the tail lamp together yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 07:03 am:

Nice work. But it does seem like a lot more work than just using a new 6v LED stop/turn bulb. They are under $5 each, and less than $4 for the socket.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/773731.html?1500812760

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Bunyip on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 07:52 am:

Cameron, that looks awesome! Did you use surface mount resistors?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 08:02 am:

Very nice Cameron !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 11:08 am:

Thanks!

Joe, I used through-hole resistors. They are mounted on the back side of the board. I potted it all so they would all be protected from vibration and corrosion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 11:25 am:

Cameron, I have been visualizing doing the same thing for awhile and wasn't sure about how to do it. I AM NOT A ELECTRICIAN but not afraid to attempt the installation. Where is your source for the LED's and any other parts ??? Are there any instructions that maybe a friend can help put this together ??? Any help would be greatly appreciated, email: liveryone@gmail.com

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration