Off topic :let me ask a question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Off topic :let me ask a question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 11:07 am:

Just curious.
IF the powers that be decided to update the forum design and in it were off topic sections and so forth, would the folks offended by "off topic" subject matter still be offended and fuss or would that remedy the problem because they could skip the category?
I would rather see the entire group of T owners that use the forum be able to continue to help each other and not let our differences of opinions on appliances get in the way of preserving the T and it's heritage.

We were Whirlpool folks till recently, now we have a Crossley drier.Same dang shell as a Whirlpool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 11:24 am:

Mack, since the clear warning ("OT") that a post is off-topic doesn't deter people from (1) reading it anyway and (2) being offended because they read it, I don't think a separate section would stop the complaints.

I am reminded of the woman who called the police because her next-door neighbor was walking around his bedroom in the nude and she found it shocking and offensive. A police officer came to her house and looked out her window, then pointed out to her that the neighbor was only visible from the waist up. "You have to stand on the dresser," she replied. :-)

Happy New Year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 11:26 am:

I predict there would be those who were all for OT threads, but would get their panties in a wad if one of them breached a subject they were against and immediately call for its deletion since "The subject of (insert your favorite offensive subject here) has no place on this forum"

Years ago, the AACA forum had a Rants and Raves section set aside for just this purpose. Things sometimes got rather bad there. After several complaints from people who couldn't resist reading it and getting offended, the section was deleted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 11:41 am:

Over years reading a number of Internet fora, seems to me interest and participation falls off in proportion to the number of "compartments". Labeling a section "rants and raves" seems to me an open invitation to post outrageous stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 11:44 am:

That was kinda my thinking.It really would not fix the problem but I just wanted to know if I was off track in my thought process or whatever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 11:51 am:

I don't see any one or any group not helping someone that needs it so in my book that's moot. As to the OT thing if you read it and are offended you might need therapy simply because you asked for it. It's today's world: blame the next guy because you can't handle some thing. Really guy's, this is the second post like this so far this week and I think their just to elicit opinions. OT ones at that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 11:54 am:

Rich,

That may be. However, folks were already doing it on the General Discussion forum. It was an attempt to give what some might characterize as malcontents, a place to discuss things without the likely to get offended getting offended. But the likely to get offended, in their ever present need to be offended, migrated there anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

At one time the Allis Chalmers forum was plagued by digressions into politics. Here's what the website operator did about it.

Note the last topic. Apparently it works well enough. It's still there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 12:06 pm:

The trouble with a OT section is the topics within it keep getting dragged out into the rest of the forum. I'm on a couple groups elsewhere where their OT boards had to be shut down for that very reason.

The MTFCA forum is not my house and no place to insist on people following my rules, however I would suggest if possible that the mod(s) lock the controversial threads rather than deleting them. That way a final message as to why it's being locked can be posted before the thread slowly sinks to obscurity. Apart from that, I just exercise a thick skin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 12:09 pm:

OH POO! I like off topic stuff! Leave it alone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

Well please understand I have no desire to cause hard feelings or anything.I felt like it would be a good idea to open the discussion with a direct question as to rather or not a separate section would solve any issues. Some push for change so that a category can be created something like Steve posted above. Others like myself feel like it would just be alot of extra work for the powers that be to only find complaints galore anyhow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 12:31 pm:

Well please understand I have no desire to cause hard feelings or anything.I felt like it would be a good idea to open the discussion with a direct question as to rather or not a separate section would solve any issues. Some push for change so that a category can be created something like Steve posted above. Others like myself feel like it would just be alot of extra work for the powers that be to only find complaints galore anyhow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

Mack for the people who read OT items then get offended I will bring out my mothers advice. "Some times you just have to put them to bed and let them cry themselves to sleep".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

Problem is, they cry to the powers that be, and the thread gets deleted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

MHO; I read the first line and if it does not interest me I go to the next post and read it and if not interesting I again move on till I find one I like.
Just my thoughts for what it is worth!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 02:44 pm:

I'm of two minds on this. I'm mostly in the Ignore it and move on camp. But at the same time I remember a self-styled "patriot" who got pretty nasty with anybody who didn't share his particular opinions. I knew one person who quit posting because of him, and there were probably others. After he posted about "being a man" and shooting someone he disappeared from the forum. I haven't missed him, and I don't object to guys like that getting the bum's rush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 02:49 pm:

I don't post much anymore but do get many PM's regarding overhead questions so somehow people know how to find me for off line questions.

I post OT but always announce it in the topic line. A couple of weeks ago I asked about a clutch problem with a Farmall tractor and got good answers before I went to a bunch of work. I ordered parts before I split the tractor and it was indeed the throw out bearing and mostly the clutch yoke. Thanks to polite advice I understood what I needed to do and had everything ready when I started. I have drug this out for too long now because it is so darn cold but am going out to the garage to install the exhaust and put the hood back on and all done.

Even though OT I do think that a follow up is the correct thing to do...off to the garage!.

Regards,

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

Love that "off topic" truck Mark!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 05:05 pm:

I'm an old dog who's afraid to learn new tricks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 05:23 pm:

Before this gets any further and some folks get brainwashed let's be clear that there is NO problem with OTs.

Someone has already said it and it's been said many times before- if it says OT and you CHOOSE to read then it's solely on you after that...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 05:47 pm:

I frequent a few forums that align with my interests.

All of the others have an OT or political/News/religion area for lively discussions.
Rules such as no personal attacks are enforced but the subjects can be entertaining
It is interesting to note that most of the folks that frequent the OT area tend to think the same but not always.
Those that donít like it stay away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

I consider the clutch job on Timís Farmal a good topic to post about on this forum.
I would not know where else to post about the problem.
I kinda know and certainly trust the posters on this forum.
I have asked for advice on forums that fit the vehicle I was seeking advice on and got nowhere. In fact I felt I was being put down by guys who implied they were high and mighty experts on the subject and I shouldnít even waiste my time and their time asking about it.
I decided Iíll ask about problems like the old MG that had the engine water jacket jammed full of rust.
I got good advic on this forum, nobody talked down to me and I am sure others learned something from the topic that could be applied to a model T Ford, as well as any water cooled engine.
I read all the O T posts, especially the political stuff.
Leave it alone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 05:57 pm:

Arron,you said alot there,
No where else am I ever at on the net that there is as much diversity of knowledge as there is here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill's Auto Works Wakeman, Ohio on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

Honestly I don't believe anything needs to be changed, but that is probably because I cannot be offended. If I see a poet I don't like I continue on to the next one! In my opinion it is ridiculous to be offended by a post, especially if it is not a personal attack on that person. Don't like the post, move on
The OT prefix is fine, as well as the one poster who is so despised by so many he is required to post his initials in every post. Obviously I don't read those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

Thanks Aaron,

I did not know how to diagnose the clattering problem as the clutch has low hours. I did not know anything about a "graphite" throw out or to soak it for 2 days in oil before installation. I did indeed find a cracked clutch finger but had an extra from the previous clutch rebuild. The posts to my questions made this fix easy, the throw out was tipping and catching on the fingers but I got all the parts before the work (had a spare pressure plate for the broken finger).

All done now and running fine except I need to attach the snow plow tomorrow. No more clatter tearing things apart. This advice didn't save me money but did save me laying underneath half a tractor hung from an engine hoist several times that I don't like doing. I understood, got the parts and did it once thanks to posts.

Not a Model T problem but OT asking guys who twist wrenches and know more than I do about this problem---resolved.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

RE my OT post above, more on it in January. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration