Request for carb flow diagrams

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Request for carb flow diagrams
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 12:55 pm:

Folks

I've seen flow charts for NH, Kingston L-4 and Holley G carbs in various places, but unfortunately, never acquired copies. Is there a reader that has them and could post, please?

I am planning a small carb clinic for my local club, and these cut-away flow charts would be most useful to explain function to group.

Many thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim from ModelTengine.com on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 01:40 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 03:41 pm:

Thanks Tim!

Do I recall that this was from some testing that you did about a year ago? This is great stuff.

Do you or anyone else happen to have copies of cut-away drawings that were either in a Ford suppliment or in Dykes (not sure where these were originally published, but are reproduced in the MTFCA carb repair manual, but small and difficult to see...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim from ModelTengine.com on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 04:47 pm:

It was in new secrets magazine years January 1996.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim from ModelTengine.com on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 04:53 pm:

Ok guys, I'm looking for a copy of that magazine. January 1996 "New Secrets Magazine V5.3" I'm also looking for V4.3 and V4.4 of this same magazine.

The articles were written by Wayne and Dana Atkinson. The number listed in the article is no longer the "Olde Kids Machine Shoppe" - it's now a recycling company.

The electronic copy I have is mostly unreadable. The photo I posted was the best copy I have left of that magazine. I'd like to own the whole issue. If you have an extra copy of these issues, please contact me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dmc on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 05:56 pm:

AFAIK the flow testing was done by Wayne Atkinson.
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 06:16 pm:

FYI

According to the Tulsa T site:

Quote: The simulations would not have been possible without the flow bench data measured by Wayne Atkinson. The data is in an article entitled "Flow Testing the Model T" published in Secrets of Speed and also in the January-February, 1999 issue of Model T Times. Although not mentioned in the article, all of Wayne's flow data was measured at 10 inches of water and is not corrected.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 07:34 pm:

Not sure how accurate the data is but I agree with the rankings based on my experience with the carbs listed. As a comparison tool it looks accurate enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 07:24 am:

actually, this is the type of cut-away I was looking for...anyone have for N-H?kingston cut-away

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edward Messenger on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 06:29 pm:

Re: article on Flow testing in Model T Times # 364 (Nov- Dec '09)
It's a very interesting amount of data, but difficult to draw conclusions. My 1914 with Holley G carb, iron manifold with letter B and .280 lift cam ran rich and seemed to lack power. After sustituting a straight through NH, it performs very well. Now, would a higher flow manifold provide any significant further improvement?
Also this article leads me to wonder if more testing of the Holley G would show benefit of shortening the length of the strangling tube?
Ed Messenger Longview, Tx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn Pullin on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 06:33 pm:

is anyone able to provide an explanation as to the asterix in the flow charts posted by Tim next to the Holley G? I find it hard to fathom that such a late carburetor performed so poorly against the others - especially given the year of manufacture.
Glenn

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration