1928 Model A wheels on a 1927 T?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: 1928 Model A wheels on a 1927 T?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Ericson on Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 09:25 pm:

My father has a set of 1928 model A wire wheels that are 21". I have a 1927 model T and was wondering if they are the same wheels that were offered for that model. What size wire wheels were available for the 26-27 T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James on Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 09:29 pm:

21" for the t but model a has a different bolt pattern.but you can buy adapters from almost any vender then you can use model a wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 12:23 pm:

Guys adaptors are not available anymore??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thunder on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 12:51 pm:

Provided that the T has wire wheels, I would think that the original hubs could be redrilled between the original holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim in Indiana on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 01:05 pm:

I tried the re-drilling thing on some rough hubs years ago and do not recommend it.The holes are too near the edge and the A wheel is bigger in the center hole due to A hubs being larger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 02:06 pm:

There is at least one supplier that still has them when I checked in the last few months. You would need to use the wood wheel type hub. I am not willing to shell out nearly $700 for some steel plates with holes drilled in them. The boys with the hot rods and big trucks can buy aluminum adapters for less then $330 for a set of 4. I have been doing some checking to get some made up, right now looking at the aluminum type.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck, Shreveport, LA. on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 02:18 pm:

Well, there's a little more to them than some steel plates with holes drilled in them. There are three steel plates per corner of the car, lots of tapped holes, studs, and flathead cap screws.

Here is what they look like:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 07:05 pm:

Very nice! Why there does there needs to be 3 plates?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck, Shreveport, LA. on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 07:27 pm:

Dang Mark, I knew you were gonna ask me that!

As you can see, the five wheel mounting studs are pressed into the middle plate.

The six "whatevers" (I assume they are flathead cap screws) that attach to the Ford hub for wooden wheels only go through the inner plate.

The six flathead cap screws you see in the outer plate are offset by 30 degrees and tighten into the inner plate which is threaded. Note they are on a smaller bolt circle than the six that attach to the Ford hub. They have to be, otherwise they would interfere with the five 1/2"-20 studs at the 5.5" bolt circle that hold the model A wheel on.

If I remember correctly, the inner and outer plates are about 1/2" thick and the middle one something like 3/8".

So, there are three plates, 12 countersunk holes (six of them threaded), five thru holes with spotfaces for the studs, five studs, 12 flathead cap screws, six lockwashers, and six nuts.

49 pieces - per corner of the car...

More to them than you thought, huh? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 07:36 pm:

Yes, more than I thought, but will now have to think on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 08:16 pm:

Went out and put a T hub up to an A wheel, no mater how I turned it at least one hole lined up. Why couldn't this same task be done with just two plates?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck, Shreveport, LA. on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 08:30 pm:

Maybe so. Looks like it to me. I didn't design or build the ones on my car. Certainly the designer had good reason for making them the way he did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Hansen on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 08:41 pm:

Model T Ranch has the adapters for (last I knew) 470 per set. They are one piece. I have a set if the three piece type I plan to use in the future, they are well made if any should pop up they are worth checking into

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 08:46 pm:

Could be they were using stock thickness's of stock to get the stack height. Thanks for the info and photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck, Shreveport, LA. on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 08:59 pm:

Could be. Maybe the plates were punched out and that thickness was the limitation for good life of the punching dies. My pleasure posting those pics. Jerry's right - they were well made.

Modifications that work well. Imagine that. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thunder on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 10:19 pm:

I'm trying to use Model A hubs on my Speedster. The inner bearing works fine, but I've not yet found the correct outer bearing. Another problem that I've encountered is that the Model A hub is NOT as deep as the Model T hub so the spindle sticks out past the hub cap. I suppose that I could cut off the extra length. But I wont do that untill I find the correct outer bearing. I'll post the end results as soon as I figure this out. None of this however addresses the rear hubs. I might need to resort to adapters for that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By aaron griffey on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 11:32 pm:

I did it with one plate.
The cars has been just fine since 1990 running with 21" model A wire wheels on T wood wheel hubs.
I won't explain how to do it again as I have done so too many times and for some reason my post never gets read.
Probably because it's too simple to be believed.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration