IClare Camper Information

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: IClare Camper Information
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bud scudder on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 09:10 pm:

I hope this is Model T enough for this forum. I have purchased a Clare pull behind camping trailer. It was manufactured in Clare, Michigan. It has Model T 30"x 3-1/2" wheels. The hub caps have the Indy racing wings embossed on them. The straight axle is threaded for Model T bearings.

Does anyone have any information on these units? It,s in very good condition and seems to be intact. There are a lot of tent poles and parts to erect a tent around and on it, except for the canvas. It is one big puzzle with out any canvas to try to set all those tent structures to.

If any one has any info I sure would like to hear from you as I intend to use this as it was made to use. Please help if you can!! BUD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 09:23 pm:

I, for one, would like to see some pictures.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bud scudder on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 09:49 pm:

Hi Neil, I'll try to post some pics as soon as I can. It will take some doing, as this is the 1st day I tried to figure her out. It sure is one neat Model T accessory, although any car could have used it. Maybe tomorrow if, I can get my daughter to help put the pics on here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 11:55 pm:

Bud,
The Tent Top Touring T's is a MTFCA chapter in Connecticut. They were among the group that was set up in the grove at the Centennial in Richmond last year. You can contact Don Liepelt by clicking on his name on the Chapters page. They should be able to help you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By peter kable on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 05:47 am:

Hi Bud,
There was a Clare parked next to Sally and I in Richmond and Don Liepelt is the owner, It's a neat unit.

I'm sure Don would be only to happy to give you all the help you need to restore it.

The camping trailers are a great way to go Model T'ing especially if you are staying in one spot for a time. (better than a Motor Kamper.)

Learnt this at Richmond where the guys just got out of bed, had breakfast and jumped into the Model T and drove off for the day, where we had to pack and close up the Kamper before we could get on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DOUG HAUGE on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 10:29 am:

HI BUD, I AM A MEMBER OF THE TENT TOPPED TOURING tS, WE HAVE A VERY ACTIVE CLUB THAT LOVES TO CAMP. WE HAVE A TOUR EVERY SUMMER AND HAVE A GREAT TIME. IT IS TRUELY A GREAT WAY TO GO TING. WE DROVE FROM UPSTATE NY TO RICHMOND LAST YEAR AND CAMPED EVERY NIGHT. DON IS YOU BEST CONTACT. HE HAS A CLARE. THE REST OF US HAVE DIFFERANT BRAND NAMES SUCH AS ZAGELMYER, GILKIE, WISCONSON MOUNTIANAIR, CHENANGO, AND A FEW OTHERS. GREG STEWART ALSO HAS A COLLECTION OF MODEL T ACCESSORY TRAILER HITCHES THAT WE USE ON THE BACK OF OUR CARS. PLEASE POST PICS OF YOUR NEW CAMPER. CONGRADULATIONS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Mullin on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 11:53 am:

Bud,

This is a close up picture of Don Liepelt's Clare Tent and Trailer taken at the Old Car Festival. I believe he had a new canvas tent made to match the original.

Liepelt

The other image is from an old Forum posting and I don't know whose it is, but might be of interest.

tent trailer

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 12:07 pm:

Tom,

I believe the other photos are of a camper owned by Les Sumner, who sometimes posts here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Mullin on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 12:46 pm:

Jerry,

Thank you. I need to find a way to document images I gather. I wish I were as good as Hap!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 04:32 pm:

Bud - Don Liepelt lives in Madison, CT and goes to Hershey. He stays in the Hershey High Meadow Campground, but in a motor home. He doesn't bring the Clare to Hershey. I'm sure he will be very willing to tell you all about his Clare tent camper.

You can look up his contact information in the "book" from the Centennial in Richmond last year.

Fordially, Keith Gumbinger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bud scudder on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 04:31 am:

Thanks to everyone for all the great responses. Got a lot of pictures, information and encouragement. I had no idea there was this much interest and activity. Can't wait to find out what the early campers had as a way of opportunities and to roam and enjoy all that nature and the wide open spaces had to offer, good or bad.

There is one heck of a lot of information available for any T related questions on this forum just for the asking and folks are so eager to HELP!!

Does anyone have a serial no. list or any literature for these units or know of a source for this info?

Thanks again for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 06:01 pm:

Not a Clare, but a model T Camper picture I just found at tbay: http://cgi.ebay.com/2-PHOTOS-MODEL-T-FORD-W-TENT-CAMPER-RARE-FISHING-GEAR_W0QQitemZ280399988041
camper photo
camper 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 06:38 pm:

Looks like the hills and mountains around Tucson. Look at the Saguaro cactus!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration