Thanks for 3 years of support

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Thanks for 3 years of support
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Watson on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 10:16 am:

A BIG Thank You to the forum with help on solving T issues, historical data and support. I have sold my Model T to pursue a dream of owning a Corvette. I still love old cars and Model Ts. There is a slight chance that I will pass on a Corvette for a Mustang GT convertible.

I will continue to make visits to the Henry Ford for Model T rides.

Eric Watson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 01:04 pm:

You are going to miss it, Eric.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 01:48 pm:

Eric, I had a crowded garage, looked around and sold my Corvette and kept the T's! Good Luck to you in your search for that Corvette. Several years ago we did a survey on this forum and it was surprising how many T guys had a Corvette also!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 01:55 pm:

I swear, there are a higher percentage of Corvettes in garages, not driven - than Ts.

One of the car mags described it years ago:
"So large on the outside;
So small on the inside."

It was a takeoff on an ad for something like a mini or Corvair.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kilroy on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 02:15 pm:

I think once you realize that Corvettes squeak, rattle, and groan as much as Model T, you will be back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis M. Haworth on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 02:19 pm:

I sold my Corvette to finish restoring my 32 Chevy (sorry guys).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 05:07 pm:

32 Chevrolet's are great looking cars. Nothing to be sorry about!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Stepney on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 05:21 pm:

Why do we have to make choices? An understanding wife makes all the difference. The T was the last in the stable right after "the wifes" candy apple red 350 350 hp 4 speed '69 Corvette convertible, and yes they do sueak and rattle just like the T. Wonderful isn't it!!!

Ernie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 05:39 pm:

I sold my Vette after I bought my first T. My teenage son thought I had lost my mind. He soon realized the T got way more attention from everyone including girls than the Corvette ever did. Good luck Eric!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BILL DUGGER on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 06:22 pm:

I HAVE A 1919 TOURING "T" AND WILL FINISH A 1917 DEPOT HACK.
OH, WHAT IS A CORVETTE "A RASH", JUST KIDDING, BUT THEY ARE REAL "TICKET GETTER" COMPARED TO A "T"

BILL D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Scheffler on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 06:53 pm:

I'm one of those quys that Jeff Perkins was talking about. I have a 13 "T" and a 74 Corvette and both are in very drivable condition. And I drive the "T" as often as I can. The Corvette just sits there looking pretty. If your looking for people to see you in a hot car, buy another "T".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Watson on Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 08:00 am:

My 8-year-old son talked me into the Vette. He never really liked the Model T and was actually afraid of it, especially in the area that we live in. People view it as a menace on the roadway. I did not care for the attention the T got nor did I view it as a "status symbol". I only took the T out once all summer, but I sure can detail a car. That car did win 2 trophies on its own merit when I did take it to shows.

I really did not like going to shows with it anymore and had no desire to go on a tour. As you can see by email address I am a racing fan. Model Ts are the most famous passengers cars in the world and Model T engines did race at Indianapolis but Corvettes are the most famous sports cars. I have a book that I got of Corvettes when I was 13 and still have it. I was talked into getting and storing the T. The vette I will do on my own terms. I am still a fairly young guy, so maybe when I retire one day revisit a Model T some 30 years from now. I just want something that is enjoyable for me and does not take 2 people to put the top down just to be able to get it out of the garage :-).

Any America Brand car squeak, rattle and groan especially a brand new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grant Baker on Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 08:26 am:

The happiest 2 days of my life were when I bought my Corvette and when I sold it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 09:17 am:

Assuming you have a wife or significant other, where's the son gonna' ride?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dana crosby on Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 02:16 pm:

I haven't driven my '72 Vette in 10 years. Someday I'll finish the brakes etc etc etc. In the meantime, we've put probably 5000 miles on the '25 Tudor and been on 4 National Tours and many local tours with it. It manages to get around 20 mpg on tour. The '58 Morris Minor also gets driven regularly and still gets nearly 40 mpg......the Vette gets maybe 10 mpg. My best buddy says that I'm the only person he's ever met that has a Corvette Desk!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Watson on Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 09:03 pm:

The wife said I would only be happy with a vette. I did mention a Mustang GT or a WS-6 Firebird and she likes convertibles. I was sad for about 10 min when the T left but I am over it now. Like I said I enjoy the old cars and reading about early Automotive History just don't need to store a piece of Americana in my garage to go around the block a few times a summer. I enjoy reading the history on the forum.

The son and I would be enjoying it the most.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dena & Dennis Gorder on Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 09:43 pm:

The right way to go is to have both:-) We have Model T's and Porsches. The T's do really get more attention. My wife calls them my chick magnets. (At my age she really isn't worried about any chicks) I think you will find out that Model T people are friendlier and more helpful. We do little with our local Porsche club because they can be a little uppitty. Our first Porsche was a water cooled 944 which wasn't accepted by the "real" Porsche people. We have Porsches because it was a boyhood dream. We have Model Ts because they are fun and so are Model T people. You will always be welcome here so I hope you come back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 10:50 pm:

NARP - Not A Real Porsche: 914: daily drivers for 20 years. Got rid of the last one after getting a real Speedster.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dena & Dennis Gorder on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 08:32 am:

Awesome car, the 914! We have a 1975 914 race car that we vintaged raced for a few years. The hobby was getting too expensive so now it sits until retirement and then I may get into autocrossing. The 914 are great cars. I beat many a V8 on the track. My Model T speedster and 914 are both yellow also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Watson on Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 10:13 pm:

Test drove a 1996 C-4 today with 300HP. I am at peace with the decision. The grin on my son's face when we took it out for a test drive says it all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lewis R. Rash on Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 09:30 am:

Like many of the above post I too have a Corvette - FOR SALE. Keeping the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kilroy on Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 10:30 am:

The prudent thing to do is to invest your money in a corvette that will double as a good investment at the same time you are enjoying the speed. Buying a late model of anything is a good way to watch your money piddle away with depreciation. Buy a collector grade car. When you pass through your speed phase you will be able to get your money back if not more when its time to sell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Watson on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 08:07 pm:

Got a virtual Corvette in rfactor to tend me over till Spring. Built a new i5 Quad Core PC for some gaming. Call of Duty is unreal on the highest settings on the HD TV.

Any Model T PC simulators out there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 08:43 pm:

We bought my wife a Corvette, so I could have my cars :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Watson on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 08:58 pm:

Very cool collection. I have been expanding my vintage collection of cardboard since my wife got her garage spot back :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 10:39 pm:

Eric:
You can't leave, you know too much !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 12:35 am:

Well, I have always had antique cars on the brain. I have restored five different speedsters including two original boat-tails. I still have two speedsters, including one boat-tail, although one (not the boat-tail) will soon be for sale to pay for another horseless carriage.
My wife's (and my) modern sports car, an Audi TT roadster. At least the T is in there somewhere.
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 12:35 am:

I have allways kinda liked the looks of the 84-85 vettes myself but I dont need the speed or insurance cost of owning 1.A local fellow does have 1 and the tag office has it on the registration as a make- Chevy-model- coupe.for whatever reason that made the fees and insurance cheaper.
The 1 thing I notice is alot of folkes find a vette to be a money pit and others love them.I think alot of the gripes are self induced by not running the cars enough and problems begin.
1 of the fellows that came by to do a concrete floor estimate on my shop was driveing a restored 74 model vette.Black and flawless.
Still,just not me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Watson on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 08:52 am:

I checked on insurance for a 1996 Vette and it would be cheaper than my 2006 daily driver.

I could imagine driving down the block in one and a certain jaw drop in envy. But a Ford Mustang GT convertible would be nice as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 09:07 am:

If you can afford what you drive, you don't have to finance it, and won't be forced to buy pricey Collision insurance. The insurance on our T, our middle-aged Jaguar and our Mercury Monterey are all about the same cost.

It's always cheaper to self insure for what wouldn't be a financial hardship.

rdr
Wash DC, home of the K Street lobbyists, the Democracy killers.

K

Only on K Street have I seen a taco wagon selling burritos and yuppie coffee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 10:01 am:

Eric, Go with the Mustang. You will be a lot happier in the end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Fenton on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 11:02 am:

I have a 1999 vette 6 speed manual which I have had since new. Absolutely no rattles or squeeks! My 15 T does have a few. I love driving them both. It is snowing quite heavily right now so I am driving the Lexus RX350 to-day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Helinski on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 11:52 pm:

I have one of each.

A 24 Runabout

and a 54 Corvette

I haven't really driven either yet but I like them both because they are both pretty basic, neither have rollup windows, door locks and both have a two speed tranny.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration