Chickasha Swap Meet

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Chickasha Swap Meet
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim from ModelTengine.com on Friday, October 23, 2009 - 03:42 pm:

In the last two days I've had four people ask me if I'll be at this event in ?March? next year and it's really got me thinking. First, I can't find a link to the event. Anyone?

Second, who's in charge and how do I contact them? My thought is that if I can find six or eight people that need an engine rebuilt I could deliver to the event. I could justify the trip (wife) and save everyone the cost of shipping (about $500 per engine). Does anyone know where I would place an ad with the offer in it? Is there a flyer or newsletter that goes out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn Edwards on Friday, October 23, 2009 - 03:45 pm:

Tim,

Go to http://pwsm.com/. It is like Hershey without the Asian tool vendors and only old stuff.

Glenn Edwards
Lebanon, TN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene k. french on Friday, October 23, 2009 - 05:13 pm:

Tim:
i recommend this meet to all who have pre-war autos ...very well run and a good number of buyers in attendance ...well worth the trip just to meet people and enjoy a great meet ...contact # is 405-224-9090 ...i already have my space for next year ...(fq11)...best regards gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack on Friday, October 23, 2009 - 06:55 pm:

Type in Chickasha pre war Swap meet. It will come up every time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 07:34 am:

Take Hershey, boil it down to just the T and early stuff, no chineese tools or other junk, add in free parking, free overnight camper parking, no enterence fee, be able to drive on to pick up heavy items, fewer but nicer people, cheap swap meet spaces, regular priced hotel rooms withn 30 min, no trafic jams at the end of the day, and you have Chickasha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 10:52 am:

Mid March on the southern plains is unpredictable, so bring your warm jammies. Some years it's very nice, and some years you think you're in North Dakota. If you're selling it's best to be there before they open up the fairgrounds for vendors Wednesday afternoon. Selling isn't allowed on the grounds until Thursday, but I've heard that some stuff changes hands while people are lined up waiting to get in. When I used to peddle my signs at swap meets this was always a favorite because people there actually know what a Winton, a Reo, or a Wills Sainte Claire is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Grunewald on Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 11:31 am:

2010 Chickasha Pre-War Swap Meet is March 18-19.
The web site mentioned above has registration info, motels and such. Like Hershey, you need to go at least once in your life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 11:53 am:

Russ -- Anyone who is into Model T's needs to go to Chickasha once a year. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim from ModelTengine.com on Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 11:32 am:

Ok guys I need your help. I've posted an offer on my website on the news page but I don't get the traffic this site does, or have the contacts you all have. I need 8 engines to make this happen, and I need them here yesterday to get the work done in time. If you know anyone that is between MA and OK that needs an engine rebuilt, please have them call me.

I think it would be quite a sight to see - pulling into the swap meet with eight brand new running Model T engines on a flatbed trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 11:57 am:

Tim,
I dont think we can get them to you by yesterday. But if anyone has a way-back-machine let me know, I have a bill I should have paid last week.

You may have trouble moving 8 engines as many people fly to Chickasha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 12:01 pm:

Hi Steve:
Regarding signs. Do you have one of these left in your sign inventory?
I'm on the lookout for one.
Harvey ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 03:49 pm:

with all the shipping containers being loaded ,you may can extend to the export market.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money on Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 06:28 pm:

I would like to see eight engines running on the flatbed trailer when you pull in. That would be mpressive. Just kidding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 08:16 pm:

Harvey, the answer is yes.

http://www.signpast.com

Every time I see that sign I hear Marvin Miller: "The Signal Oil program, 'The, Whistler'."
Then Bill Forman: "I am the Whistler, and I know many things, for I walk by night. I know the stories of men and women who have stepped into the shadows. I know the nameless terrors of which they dare not speak." If you were born too late to hear it, you missed a good one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 08:40 pm:

Steve

Thanks for the info.

I can't recall The Whistler? My earliest radio recollections, Sargent Preston of the Yukon, The Inner Sanctum and The Shadow. Many, many nights glued the radio with great anticipation and excitement; in those long ago days.

Again thanks, Steve .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 09:10 pm:

My new truck has a satelite radio in it for now. I say for now since I probably won't renew the free 3 month subscription on it but it does have one fun station that I listened to on the way to Hershey - that is "Radio Classics". On the way Renee' and I listened to Hopalong Cassidy with George "Gabby" Hayes, Cisco Kid, Long Ranger, Inner Sanctum, The Whistler, Lux Radio Theator with a story starring Frank Lovejoy, Our Miss Brooks, Red Skelton, Fibber Magee and Molly, Life of Reilly. Probably more that I can't remember since they were each about 1/2 hour except for the Lux program. I was really enjoying my childhood but I think my wife was bored except for the Red Skelton show. She and I were both roaring on that one. Being live programming - the flubs were left in and part of the fun on the comedy routines. Abbot and Costello was also aired with a ton of adlibs by Lou Costello being jealous that everyone on the show was getting laughs except him. Good old days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 11:27 pm:

I, myself, have not been to Hershey or Chickasha. So, I am wondering why T people would go to Hershey if, as it sounds, is geared toward later vehicles? Between the two, it sounds like Chickasha is the swap meet to attend. How does the Indianapolis swap meet compare to Hershey and Chickasha as far as prewar vehicles are concerned?
Thanks,

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 11:46 pm:

Hershey is geared towards everything. It started in the 50s and, from what I've seen in photos, focused on horseless carriages. Of course since it's gone on so long, with vehicles 25 years old and older being considered antiques, there have been many shifts in the focus. I remember as a kid in the 70s several rows with many Model Ts in each row. Same thing with Model As. This year, I think there were less than 10 of each. Since Chickasha is a pre war event, this won't happen as the focus stays the same.

Simple answer - T people still go to Hershey because it's Hershey. If you've never been there you wouldn't understand. I have gone since I was a very young boy so I'm both a T guy and a Hershey guy. I will go until I'm too old to make it. My son has been there 5 times and he's 4 years old. Hopefully we can go to Chickasha next year and make it a tradition too. Sounds fun.

Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 11:50 pm:

Hershey sounds like it would be worth a trip for me some time as I have other projects that are "postwar" I guess it would be called?
1 of these days i will find out when it is and go to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money on Monday, October 26, 2009 - 06:46 pm:

Willis, I have been to all three, once each. Indy was our first. Indy is a very small version of Hershey. A bit of everything. I think Chicaksha is our favorite. Hershey is well, Hershey. You have to experience it at least once. I am trying to get back to Chickasha next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Monday, October 26, 2009 - 09:24 pm:

I to have been to all three. Chickasha is by far the best swap meet I've ever attended. I have been going every year for about the last ten.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 05:55 pm:

Jeff Humble wrote: "...as many people fly to Chickasha."
Is that to Chickashas Municipal Airport by some domestic airline or is it to Oklahome City International?
I'm asking as I would really love to come over, but that is from Copenhagen. No direct flight of course, but there are quite some flights to various US cities directly from Copenhagen. Of these 4 have connecting flights to Oklahoma City and that may be fine as one have to rent a car anyway and driving 35 miles is nothing.
Is that the way to go?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 06:08 pm:

OK - maybe I should have browsed a little further: It seems if you fly by airline you go to Oklahoma City and if you go by your own "wings" you go directly to Chickasha Municipal Airport.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 06:08 pm:

Michael,
Fly into Oklahoma City. You can get a hotel outside of Oklahoma City, I have stayed in Yukon and El Reno, both are west of Oklahoma City and an easy 35 min drive to Chickasha. You can stay in Chaickasha too, but the hotels there require a 3 or 4 night stay if that works for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George House on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 01:18 pm:

Michael,
You got it right; fly into OK city and rent a car to Chickasha. If you DO come, bring me a stack of Copenhagen tins- its gotten up to $4.38 a can here what with all the add-ons for 'sin tax'. I might be letting the cat outta the bag but I also bring a cot and sleeping bag at a minimum. If the sleet is blowing horizontal outside, it'll still be 72 degrees inside the two large buildings and you have a shower and other warm bathroom facilities. If warm nights like this year, outside sleeping under the stars was great. Its surprising how many Model T parts can be bought from motel $ savings. . . . george

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Fretschl on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 01:57 pm:

I just got off the phone with the hotels in the area, and everything is booked up . So unless your going there in a motor home that's about it. Didn;t look for hotels in Oklahoma City.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 06:14 pm:

OKC is only a half hour drive from Chickasha. There should be plenty of places to stay there. When I used to sell at Chickasha I slept in my space because the price was perfect.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration