1926 Fordor Windshield

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: 1926 Fordor Windshield
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 04:08 pm:

I am ready to put the windshield frame back in the 1926 Fordor that I am restoring.
I have found the rubber that goes into the top swingout windshield
However I do not know what is the correct seal for the fixed bottom half which screws permanently into the body. Does anybody have an original that they could check the details, or advice on what is correct.
Thanks
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 12:14 am:

Hi Garry - I'll check mine tomorrow and post the information.

Fordially, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 12:54 am:

Hi Garry - I checked the lower windshield on my '27 Fordor today and also saw a friends '26 Fordor and checked the lower windshield on it also.

They both have a seal on the lower, fixed windshield that resembles fender welting. It's kind of a plastic/vinyl material with a round edge that goes on the inside of the car. The round edge is about 1/8" to about 3/16". As I said, it's similar to fender welting, but smaller. Also, this piece is black. It fits on the three "closed" sides of the lower windshield. i.e. the two sides and the bottom. Also, it is all one piece, not three separate pieces.

In addition to this piece, as I remember it, there's a flat piece of rubber gasket that's glued to the back side of the exterior part of the lower windshield. This piece can't be seen when the lower windshield is installed.

I hope this helps you, but if you have any questions, please feel free to give me a call.

Best wishes, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry A.woods on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 01:39 am:

Keith, I'm working on a 26 fordor. Do you know whether these seals or any decent substitute are available?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 08:36 am:

Keith
Thank you for all your effort in researching this subject.
I will try and recreate such a weather stripping system on my 26 Fordor.
The upholstery job is now finished and is wonderful and correct in every detail as accomplished by the upholsterer who did not use a kit.
The window blinds are not complete because I have not found a suitable material. I have a sample fabric from Macs but it does not look correct and is too shiney
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 11:15 am:

Hi Garry & Terry - I reused the original material on my lower windshield. It was in very good condition, so I just cleaned it and re-installed it and it's still ok after 35 years. I think as long as it doesn't get soaked or otherwise damaged, just consider re-using the original.

I don't think any of the vendors have this item. You might try Restoration Speialties and Supplies in Windber, PA. They have lots of this type of thing.

Another interesting thing about the windshields on these Fordors is my car was and is very original. Between the upper and lower windshield there was originally a molded rubber gasket. In the middle it was like the tyopical lower case "h" rubber available from the vendors for touring cars, etc., but on each end was a wider part molded to fit around the 3/4" or so windshield frame. This was all one piece from one side to the other and provided a good weather seal between the upper and lower windshields. I still have this piece, but from age it is very dried out and hard, and has broken into a couple of pieces. I'll see if I can take a picture of it and post it.

By the way Garry, could you post a picture of your new interior? It really sounds nice!

Best wishes, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 11:29 am:

See:

www.snydersantiqueauto.com/modeltparts/windshieldparts

and scroll down to see if any of the windshield rubber gaskets will provide the seal you need. I'm inclined to think that A-79500 is what you will need for the seal between the cowl and windshield frame and frame sides. That is what I used on my 1926 frame. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 12:19 pm:

PS. The A-79500 (www.snydersantiqueauto.com/1552) is what I used on my '26 coupe windshield frame, which is the one piece windshield. As you know, the '26 Fordor is the two part windshield carried over from 1925, but the bottom half of my Fordor winshield appears to fit to the cowl in the same fashion as my one piece '26 frame, but since it is all original, and I have never dismantled it, I can't tell for sure, what the original underlying gasket looks like. Jim Patrick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration