Need recommendations to clean vinyl touring roof

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Need recommendations to clean vinyl touring roof
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 07:15 pm:

Wondering what others use to clean their roof. It isn't real dirty, but dirty enough that you notice. My mother would definitely notice. I have already used soap and water which got a lot of it clean. A bit of a shine would be nice. It came this way when I bought it a couple months ago. I am pretty sure it is the same stuff Cartouche(Mac's) sells because it looks like the same stuff they sent me to patch a big rip.
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 07:21 pm:

Dave

I have used Nu Vinyl brand spray on shine. Works well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 08:08 pm:

I use Lemon Pledge on the vinyl and paint. I spray it on a microfiber towel and wipe the dust off the stuff. Then use a dry microfiber towel a little later to wipe the body down again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr. on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 08:56 pm:

I just cleaned the top of my newly purchased car last weekend. It had been in storage for 40 years. The top and back are in pretty good shape, but the sides where the top folds is in need of repair. With so many products out there, I finally decided on using two of them. After gently washing the top with warm soap and water twice, I dried it and let it sit for about an hour in the sun. I then used Armor All Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner. I followed the directions. This process cleaned it even more as my damp wiping cloth collected more dirt. After this process dried, I then used the Armor All Original Protectant, spraying it on a microfiber cloth and wiping it on the top. The new and improved Armor All Original Protectant is nongreasy and protects against UV rays. This process seemed to bring life back to the top.
All in all, I am pretty pleased.

Orlando

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 09:10 pm:

I use the wash and wax comes in a liquid form. One brand is Simonize. you just put some in water and sponge it on then wipe off with a towel. I use that for the entire car. I don't rub it down or use any other wax product. I don't use a hose on it either. Just sponge it on and wipe it off. I use it on the seats too.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lloyd M. Sumerall on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 11:35 pm:

I use Mac's Top Dressing. I've used it for years and it always leaves the top with a shine that lasts at least a year. MIKE - AL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 11:59 pm:

Armorall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 12:39 am:

This is just my experience, but others have verified it.
Armorall contains silicon. Silicon is a stress relief agent and allows the naturally occurring stresses in plastics (like top material and dashboards) to relax and concentrate. This concentration causes splitting of the surface. Armorall has ruined many a plastic piano keyboard, and I've seen it damage padded dashes. It takes a little time, but I would never allow it near anything I own! Also, the silicon makes a mess of your shop for any painting afterwords!
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 03:23 am:

I have posted this before, anything that has silicone in it is very bad for rubber and vinyl, from what I have read. Just my opinion. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Ireland on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 09:08 am:

I have tried several cleaners/polishers and have never really liked the end results or with some the amount of work they took to use them. By sheer luck I tried plain old 'Windex' and it works perfect. I wet the surface good and let it sit for a bit then wipe off dry to the touch and with a clean rag and a circular motion buff it up a bit. Works for me! Dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 10:56 am:

Dave Ireland, That's what I use and get along fine. In my experience, Armor All is a terrible dust magnet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 11:22 am:

Like the windex idea. Still feel the need for protectant. Anyone try 303? I understand it does all the good thigs promised by the likes of armrall without the negatives touched on above.

Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 01:12 pm:

I use Vinyl and Rubber cleaner and dressing from Griot's Garage. Works very well and leaves a nice semi-gloss finish. They're a mail order only outfit on the web. I use alot of their products and am very pleased.

Stay away from ArmorAll.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 01:26 pm:

Thanks for the tip Wayne. I think I'll give them a try. Looks like some interesting stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 02:12 pm:

Armoral removes the plastisizers(sp) from vinyl.
That turns your vinyle into plastic which will soon crack and crumble.
Use Armoral only when you will soon sell whatever you put it on.
A lot of good cleaners have been mentioned. When in a hurry or don't feel like going out to buy the "Right stuff" I use Palmolive dish washing soap. It's the best for washing your hands too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr. on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 03:06 pm:

Oh Boy! I'm sorry I mentioned Armor All. I should have known that I was among experts who have years of experience with all of the products of the world. I must say that I probably don't have the expertise to post here. If I could, I would delete my post above. Maybe for the next few years I'll just read and not post. I'm a new member here and didn't mean to offend anyone.

Orlando

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 03:30 pm:

I have used windex to clean my windows, and there is something in it that causes a rainbow effect when it comes in contact with black paint.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 03:35 pm:

Don't worry, Orlando, it's just the normal give and take that happens on the forum. Remember that we can't see each other's faces when we post, and facial expression is an important part of communication.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 03:50 pm:

Orlando,
Don't take our postings as anything said against you. Some products have great advertising, but fall short of what they are. I personally have no idea why Armor-all is so popular, or even still on the market--but then I feel the same way about McDonalds too! (I call it "the fallen arches" :-) )
No one was offended here by your postings, and we hope you weren't offended by our responses--we're all here to help folks and share the malady known as Model T ownership!
Have a great Thanksgiving!
T'ake care,
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 07:34 pm:

I don't think you offended anyone Orlando.
Not me for sure.
Armorall was the hot thing when it came out in the late 60's or early 70's.
I used to repair torn and cut and cracked vinyle.
In 1976 I actually went to a 5 day schooling for it. One thing I remember was what they said about armer all. The Tannery was a good one to use in those days.
Armer All is like WD40-most folks think it is the cat's meow.
Keep posting at any rate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr. on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 08:37 pm:

Thanks fellow "T'ers

Okay, I have to post. I'm one of those who can't sit on the sidelines. I have to be part of the team and contribute. So again, I hope I didn't offend anyone by my post. I didn't recommend the product, I just merely shared my experience.

I own no stock in Armor All, and I thought I had done due diligence by studying and looking over the products available. Believe me, I want to use what's best for my "baby". And no lie, my top looks much improved. Now, I'm concerned about the potential damage I've done. First item on the agenda for tomorrow morning is washing the top again and getting that "bad" Armor All off of my delicate top.

Okay experts, (I mean this in a good way) now I need some advise. What can I use for my top. As I mentioned, it was in storage for 40 years and needs some moisturizing and shining. While we're at it, I need to do the seat also. It's dry and needs moisturizing also. I'd like to keep everything as is, but it needs a little improving.
Thanks in advance,

Orlando

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 10:54 pm:

Orlando,
You need to find out if you have vinyl or leather. 40 years of storage tells me you might have leather, and that will bring up a whole different topic on how to treat leather.

Your top might be vinyl and the seat might be leather. I am sure someone here can tell you better than I what the difference is.

And I am like you. I probably post too much, but that is how I learn, and where I get a lot of good answers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 09:13 pm:

Orlando,
For leather, I was taught to use "Hide Food" and I have used it, but a long time ago, and maybe better stuff is out there now.
T'
David D.
PS Glad you're posting again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 09:49 pm:

I hate to sound like an ad, but again Griot's makes a leather-care product that I've had very good luck with. Comes in both a thick cream that rubs in best by hand, and a spray formulation. They also have a rejuvenator for very old, cracked leather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr. on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 09:56 pm:

The material is a vinyl type. It is definetely not leather. It is in pretty good shape, no tears on the back and sides. The seat cushion shows a little wear. The back and sides are hard and dry. I would like to get it to become pliable and softer if possible.

Thanks for the help.

Orlando

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr. on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 10:09 pm:

Here you go. This is a photo of what I'm working with.

file

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 03:30 am:

Orlando, that is a great car. I am so glad that you are preserving it. Please don't be shy about asking questions, that's how we learn. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration