From cutting board to short-proof coil box…I hope

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: From cutting board to short-proof coil box…I hope
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Magedanz on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 01:17 am:

This is how I spent my Thanksgiving Week free time so far:

coil box 09

coil box10

The old wood was badly warped and coming apart, so I thought I would try making new pieces but using a plastic cutting board to avoid future similar problems and hopefully to eliminate shorts in case the coil box ever gets wet. (We’ll see about that.)

The grocery store had some nice cutting boards for under $10, so I got one and…

coil box01

…cut it down to size (a table saw with carbide-tipped blade would have worked much better of course)…

coil box02

…and used a router table to cut the various grooves…

coil box03

…and a brace and bit to make the large, countersunk holes (regular drill press for the rest)…

coil box04

…and a few pieces of aluminum scrap to get the correct spacing for the bottom groove…

coil box05

..which was cut with a miter saw…

coil box06

…and a drill for the groove for the wire to the bottom piece…

coil box07

…which seemed to work pretty well actually…

coil box08

…and here it is…

coil box12

…although I think I will need to paint the back wall of the coil box black since so much of the white cutting board material shows through the firewall. Now if I can just get those insulators done…

coil box11

Happy (US) Thanksgiving everyone.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 03:11 am:

I think black or other paint won't stick to the material. How about some of that wood grained plastic material to put fake wood side panels on country wagon mini- vans? Put on before the insulators and from the other side it would look like the wood.

W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 06:24 am:

How do you explain this fine workmanship to the MRS???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack McRoberts on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 08:16 am:

Good lateral thinking, Joe and well explained.

Will we have to wait for next (US) Thanksgiving for another masterpiece ?

Jack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Bowen (Aust.) on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 08:47 am:

Joseph,
great minds think alike:-)
I did the same several months ago.
coilbox

coilboxagain

Although I can see the white showing through,
no-one has mentioned it or pointed it out to me.
Regards
Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 09:32 am:

The black paint has carbon in it's composition.......a source of electrical conductivity when coil box gets wet. I wouldn't use paint. Looks good to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 09:34 am:

Would a black magic marker stain the cutting board around the holes?

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Magedanz on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 11:02 am:

Wayne, good idea about the wood-grained stick on plastic. Maybe that would be the best way to cover the white and have it look like a regular box.

Bob, the MRS pretty much lets me do what I want with the TT, and since it was not her good cutting board…

Colin, it’s good to know I am not the only one to do something like this. I assume your is working fine. Has it been rained on yet?

Bob, good point about the paint. I think I will look for something else to camouflage the white.

Herb, a magic marker might stick better, but would it have carbon in it, too, and be a similar possible problem like paint?

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 11:18 am:

Cool work. I have used this same material on other non T projects and found it easy to machine and shape. What a great idea. The stuff is impossible to glue or paint but hey, the white looks O.K. to me. If anyone asks, it shows they are T oriented and will probably like to see your great idea. Nice photos too.

Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 11:29 am:

Just because something is black and probably has carbon in it doesn't mean it is necessarily electrically conductive. Battery cases and electrical tape are often black, as is spark plug wire insulation and the end boots.

How about cutting some pipe insulation donuts about as thick as the distance between the coilsbox and the firewall?

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 11:38 am:

Just last week I bought some black neoprene washers at the local farm store to mount my Moto Meter. They had a good selection of different sizes. Why wouldn't they cover the white as well as seal the openings?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 12:27 pm:

Joe,

Looks great. Be sure to give us a "drive report" a few years from now on how it is holding up and if you discover anything to improve the process. Finally -- do you have any idea at what temperature the cutting board stuff either melts and/or burns? I would guess but it is only a guess that is as good as the wood it replaced. If you have a chance please apply some heat in a well ventilated place to one of the scrap cutting board pieces that are left over and let us know if it burns, melts or explodes. Ok ... maybe that isn't such a good idea. Does anyone know without the testing?

Again great looking work.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 01:05 pm:

When I get around to it, I have some similar material only it's blue or green. I have been planning to do the same thing for some time. Thanks for the step by step photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 01:35 pm:

This is a great idea. Looks good and it should outlast the coils! I wonder what the boards are made from? HDPE maybe?

Back in the '70's I lived along the SoCal coast,
so I replaced the wood in my TT coilbox with a fiberglass & polyester resin "board".

I used several layers of glass mat sandwiched between two layers of fine cloth. I pressed the uncured sandwich between a wooden plug with the grooves as projections and a flat piece of steel plate. When it cured I trimmed the pieces and painted the firewall side with black paint. Not nearly as elegant as your solution but solved the problem!

The engine would start with one or two pulls and seemed to have more power. And no it never caught fire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Bowen (Aust.) on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 03:38 pm:

Joseph,
yes, it has been rained on. Both times very heavily without a problem, Had water running down the firewall and across the floor. It was meant to be temporary but...
Regards
Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 04:33 am:

You remembered to solder the bronze springs to their bolt heads didn't you ????

George n L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Magedanz on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 05:32 pm:

George C.,
No, that hasn't been done yet. They were not soldered when I took it apart, so I thought I would reassemble it like it was...are they supposed to be soldered? I also have to re-rivet the bottom spring to the bottom piece and solder that wire back in place.
Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 11:31 pm:

I like the idea and may try this sometime.Thanks for the photos and such.
As for the other thread and the mention of fire.Judgeing from the amount of plastic on modern cars, I dont think this will pose a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George A Wood on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 02:45 am:

I have used cutting board for years without a problem. Caulk around edge of back before installing and then caulk at base of porcelain insulators and you have a waterproof coil box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 03:54 am:

Joseph, they weren't soldered originaly, but it does help. Just one more problem that you don't have to worry about. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 11:32 am:

If you don't want the white to show through the firewall, just cut some washers from an empty oil bottle. Black, of course.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration