New Search Website For Model T stuff

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: New Search Website For Model T stuff
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim from ModelTengine.com on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 09:48 am:

In response to this (partly): "The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request." We've all seen it,and it's almost impossible to find an old post on here. No fault to Bruce, I think maybe the database is too big for the search function.

So I have created a new "Model T only" search engine for us to use. It's an experiment, part to see if I could do it, part to see if it will support itself financially by displaying ads from Google.

The Website is www.ModelTmotor.com (just because I already had the domain) - it's just a search page. If you type in "upholstery" for example, you should see model T upholstery results - so far we're running 90% accurate on my test searches. I'll keep fine-tuning until we get all the garbage off the results list.

I want this to be a place Model T guys can go and find stuff without wading through unrelated links. Please bookmark it or set your home page there - and let me know if I should make any changes.

I've also included a link (the red one) that will bring you to this websites "last day" page so you can use it every day to see the latest forum postings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 10:38 am:

I just tried it out. I typed in "used parts". The first ten results were all Model T. Then I went to 99 through 100 and found 7 out of 10 were Model T. Pretty good. I did think it was funny to see Mac's advertising parts for "Model T Ford 1928-1931".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 10:46 am:

I only see that message when I've typed in two keywords and forgot to set the next box choice to 'AND' from its default 'OR' .... other than this it works perfectly every time for me.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 10:47 am:

I like it. thank you for your work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Magedanz on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 11:06 am:

Thanks, Tim. I have bookmarked it and will probably use it a lot.
Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 12:55 pm:

I liked it. Was very good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Bowen (Aust.) on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 03:55 pm:

Thanks Tim,
I like it also.
Regards
Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 05:08 pm:

Tim,

Thanks! It give a little broader search than just the forum. And on the forum as Garnet pointed out, if you use "and" as the option -- it usually works for me without any errors.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker l9l5 Model T Ford Touring cut off and made into a pickup truck an l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kekacs on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 06:50 pm:

Thanks Tim!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 07:44 pm:

Thankyou Tim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim from ModelTengine.com on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 08:39 pm:

I'm glad everyone likes it so far! I'm open to suggestions too, if you know of a great T website that's not on the list let me know and I'll add it to the search.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 10:47 pm:

Most excellent...........many thanks!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Burg on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 10:51 pm:

Thanks Tim it works good for me.....les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By andy samuelson on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 11:14 pm:

Holy Cow works pretty slick ! !
Must be from some of that special grease left on your fingers.
Good job

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Norton on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 02:27 am:

Google search syntax may help. Possibly only a subset of the syntax is available, depending on how the front-end deals with it?
http://www.google.com/help/cheatsheet.html
http://www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html

For example, if the search value is     modeltmotor.com     Google displays this thread.
If search value is     modeltmotor.com -domain     Google shouldn't display this thread as domain appears in the first post of this thread.
I tested the above and it worked as expected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 02:30 pm:

COOL! Nice work Tim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim from ModelTengine.com on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 09:10 pm:

Made some changes today, I hope everyone likes the new look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Norton on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 01:30 am:

IMHO better without frames. No ads required where free hosting (eg Google, Microsoft) is used .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim from ModelTengine.com on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 02:47 pm:

David the frames are allowing me to do a little more than I could without them. Check again, I've re-sized the frames and added some new features. I hope you like it, I'm hoping people will make it their home page, one stop shopping for your "daily Model T fix".

I'll keep adding T stuff in as we find it. If you have a favorite website you go to allot, let me know what it is and I'll try to work it in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Heffey on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 10:21 pm:

Well done Tim. Ive found lots of stuff I have been looking for.

Andrew NZ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Norton on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 07:10 pm:

Thanks Tim. Just for grins, try a similar search in Yahoo! and Google. Sample syntax:
+pawl +parking site:www.mtfca.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim from ModelTengine.com on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 05:00 pm:

Added a video de Jour. Hopefully I'll remember to update it now and then. Also added in a list of links that have caught my eye. So far a Shiners type T manufacturer and a T parts vendor I'd forgotten about have shown up just by clicking on a few ads. www.ModelTmotor.com Anyone have any more suggestions on things to add? I'm using it right now as my home page and to read the forum!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration