Gypsy triangular shaped side curtains for improved (26-27) open cars

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Gypsy triangular shaped side curtains for improved (26-27) open cars
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 08:43 pm:

In a previous thread the following was stated. "The term "'gypsy'" curtain normally means the accessory flaps that fit to the front stanchions on Improved open cars." Thanks to DT

These are the triangular shaped side curtains for (26-27)open cars. (Usually used when top is down)

I would like to know how the gypsy curtain is constructed and what happens to the curtain when the door is opened. I had some curtains made a few years back and mine are unfortunately held to the door with snap fittings. This is not correct, as the curtains must be un snapped to open the door more that a few inches.

Any help here would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 11:47 pm:

Tom: The gypsy curtains are fastened to the windshield upright by lift a dot fasteners. They are attached to the door by a single spring and hook. The hook goes into the hole in the door above the lock. This hole would normally hold the side curtain rod. The gypsy curtain opens with the door. The spring is a light weight sprint maybe 5/16 diameter and about 2 or 2 1/2 inches long.
I had an original set and sent them to Clastique upholstery, Hamm Lake, Mn., to be used for patterns. They made me a set copying the originals. I gave them the originals to add to their patterns for others to benefit. They were good only for pattterns.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 12:52 am:

Jack: Thank you so much for sharing this information. Would I be correct in thinking there is a metal rod that is internal in the lower part of the curtain that runs parallel and adjacent to the top of the door? Thank you also for providing the Clastique Upholstery name & details. I've been offered some pattern bits also, and now I may be able to fathom how what I can see actually works. Cheers mate, Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 02:54 pm:

Can anyone post a photo of these?

Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 02:58 pm:

I would be interested in obtaining a set for my '26 Touring. I wonder if we could get a short run done by Clastique?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 04:40 pm:

Tom: No there is not a metal rod, but there is edge reenforcement, originally with paper board. I had them use a piece of flexible plastic. It is not seen

Wayne: All you need to do is make the phone call and order them.

The gypsy curtains can be black or tan, depending on top color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnie Johansen on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 04:45 pm:

Jack:

Can you post a picture of the Cypsy curtain mounted to the vehicle with the door open and with the door closed?

Arnie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 05:26 pm:

'26-'27 gipsy curtain, door closed
pic
Sport touring, fawn color gipsy curtains and top boot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 06:57 pm:

I took a picture like Dan posted to my guy who does upholstry, and he fabricated gypsy curtains from the photo. Mine use lift a dot on the windshield post as noted in a previous post, but on the door we used a push pin type connector to go in the existing hole on the side of the door since I did not know that I was supposed to use a spring connected to the side curtain hole on the top of door. (cannot remember the real name of the connector) Curtain opens with the door with this design. No rod on the bottom of curtain.Have them on my blue 27 touring that was on last years Spring Florida tour. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 08:37 pm:

Here are pictures of the reproduced gypsy curtains. Lift-a-dot fasteners on the post, flexible reenforcement of both of the other sides. The spring is held by a rivit to the curtain. The door and the curtain are on different non parallel mountings, thus the curtain swings up when the door is opened.
file1,2,3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 08:41 pm:

2nd picture of gyipsy curtains. (tried multiple pics, just not my day!)file

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 08:42 pm:

3rd picture of gypsy curtain. (Last one)file

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 03:40 pm:

I've just contacted Classtique regarding getting a set of curtains made for my Touring. I'll report here with their reply and details.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 05:53 pm:

Jack: Another thank you for the additional information and excellent accompanying photos.
This thread could now titled "everything you need to know about gypsy curtains for the improved open car. Cheers, Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 11:50 am:

Elizabeth from Classtique responded very quickly to my question regarding making Gypsy curtains:

"Yes, I have made a few sets, they are not my favorite thing to make, but I do have a good pattern thanks to a old crispy set Jack Putnam supplied. My current price is $155 made of tan/tan stayfast cloth. $135 made of black colonial grain top material."

I have ordered a set of black colonial grain curtains (early Christmas present).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 12:30 pm:

Elizabeth makes good stuff. If she has the pattern then I'd go for it. I'm not able to post a picture, but I have a NOS curtain. It is tan top material, and does have an interesting spring loaded clip, but is not the same as the one Jack posted. I don't know if it is a right or left. I have a friend who could take a picture, but I still don't know how to post it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 04:39 pm:

Elizabeth at Clastique Upholstery is one person who will make sure everything is right with a product you purchase from her. She is the owner, she answers the phone and one who does much of the work. Their products are top notch, and she is more than willing to solve any problem, or answer any questions you may have. I haver purchased at least a dozen kits from her. Tops and upholstery (and two sets of gypsy curtains). Her kits are complete, you don't have to buy any additional supplies, they are well made and they fit. Clastique is a quality supplier, an asset to the hoby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 11:29 am:

I think I may have a NOS setting up in the barn attic. If I do, maybe I'll run them over to Elizabeth since she's only a few miles from me. She could compare them with Jack's. Just gotta make sure I'm not confusing them with the rear side curtains for a runabout which can also be triangular in shape.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration