Dimension of Muncie Transmission coupler

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Dimension of Muncie Transmission coupler
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 09:37 pm:

I have a Muncie that is missing the coupler. I assume the inside is the same square dimension as the driveshaft? I need the overall length of the coupler, along with the OD of it.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 09:49 pm:

Andy,if you can find a picture of that coupler,I may just have one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 10:50 pm:

Jack it looks like a regular u-joint, but one side is shorter then the other side--- I need badly the u-joint looking coupler that runs the Jumbo Giant transmission it is a 1/2 u-joint with a collar on the rear w/ a protruding lip thru the center, don't have photo cability, I do have one but it is worn badly and needs built back up, the fellow who is purchasing the trans does not want to rebuild anything?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 10:52 pm:

I'll try to get and post a picture of this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 09:19 am:

Here is the one I found.image{1,2}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 09:19 am:

image{1,2}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 09:23 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 09:24 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 11:01 am:

If you put that beside a regular u-joint you'll see the difference, thats a Muncie Joint worth 75.00 and up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 01:44 pm:

Andy,contact me off forum as this is extra to my needs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 02:16 pm:

When Andy asked about the coupler, I assumed he meant the coupler on the rear the Muncie. The shortened female end U-joint, as I recall, goes on the front of the Muncie connecting it to the T output. At the rear of the Muncie is a coupler that is just a piece of solid round stock, perhaps about 1 1/4" in diameter and aobut 2" long, with a square hole through the entire length. It connects the Muncie output to the regular T U-joint at the front of the driveshaft.

It's been a while since I had mine apart, so I could be mistaken. Anyone else???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 01:00 am:

I don't know if it will work with a Muncie, but there's a U-joint on E-Bay (Item #170414631888) that is female on both ends. The seller says it's for a T auxillary transmission, but does not say what brand. If it will fit between the Muncie output and the u-joint on the driveshaft, it might work instead of the coupler for a Muncie. However, it may be too long. And, of course, you don't need another u-joint at this s place in the drive train, but it woud connect the two ends. As I write this, I realize you'd be connecting a u-joint to a u-joint, which may present it's own problems. I've never seen one like it. I wonder if it is something someone created out of two u-joints?

I just thought I'd pass this along. I have no interest in the auction. It was just kinda interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 04:45 am:

I don't know if I should tell all this or not, but about six months ago I ran into this problem while frantically getting my boat-tail ready for the endurance run, which I barely made. After finding a picture of the piece, showing that it was in fact a simple round piece of steel with a square through the center, I had to figure how to make one, FAST, and without a machine shop. I dug into my pile of T transmission parts. Found two damaged output "tail shafts", (the part that the u-joint fits into). (I hate to cut up a good part). I carefully measured all parts to determine the length needed. Then cut the ends off the two to total the needed amount. One I cut the full length of the inner square, the other only as much more that I needed. Ground angles for a "V" to weld in, slid short piece first onto a u-joint and tack welded the two pieces together, not to the u-joint. A little more grinding, welding and assembly.
For some thought of reliability, I put the short welded end on the longer u-joint square where it gets the least stress, the longer end on the Muncie's shorter square.
So far, it has held up for one 200 mile SCVMTFC endurance run. I'm looking forward to June.
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 10:42 am:

Andy if you need the back coupler that is round and sq on both ends I happen to have an extra, found it yesterday while looking for a Jumbo Giant front pc, that 's not here. danuser88@socket.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 11:27 am:

Well Wayne, sounds to me like you just did what any self respecting T guy would do, assess what you have to work with and make it go!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 06:07 pm:

Wayne,

That is about what I was thinking, but I need dimensions.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 04:05 am:

Andy,

Unfortunately, I did not think ahead enough to make notes. Mine is now safely inside the rear of the transmission. The math is fairly simple. The center of the u-joint should be even with the furthest back edge of the Muncie, measure into the Muncie to the bottom (base?) of the square output shaft next to the bearing. Minus the distance from the center of the u-joint to the base of the square end of the u-joint, should give the basic length needed to couple the two squares together inside the tail end of the transmission.
The piece should not be any too short, because it would knock back and forth some and possibly not have enough surface on the shorter square (Muncie end). Also, it MUST NOT be any too long, it would stress the mountings, bearings, u-joint and everything else connected until something broke. Not a pretty prospect. Maybe the math isn't that simple.
One other consideration. Muncies came in both long tail and short tail versions. Most that I have seen were long, as mine is. But the short one, if you had that, would be totally different.
I would be happy to put together my munched Muncie and do the math, or find the pieces that I cut off of to figure the length of the piece, however I am out of town for a few days, so it couldn't be until next week. If you have the means to contact me directly, that would be fine, or I will check this Forum next week.
Let me know, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 03:07 pm:

Andy,
To answer your original question: the coupling that I have measures... 2 1/2 long, 1 5/8 diameter.
But you may already have one on the way.
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 05:22 pm:

John,

Thank you, it has been a long time coming; but I figured it would eventually appear. I don't have one on the way, remember Model T guys are cheap and why buy it, when I can make it!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration