Period Photo - Non T but cool - paint and panel shop

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Period Photo - Non T but cool - paint and panel shop
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 06:51 am:

Found on Shorpy is this paint and panel shop 1926:
(link for full sized picture: http://www.shorpy.com/node/7154?size=_original)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady Puryear on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 09:35 am:

Pretty nice shop, look at the concrete beam ceiling, I especially like the two guys sanding next to the poor soul painting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Mitchell on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 11:57 am:

Neat pic I see a 25-26 Willys-Knight model 66 off to the left rear of the shop very cool. I own one of those cars, which makes it that much more specail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 06:55 pm:

Love the work done right by a pool of (oil?)!

think of overspray, fumes, dust, but at least it has a fire door!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 10:28 pm:

That pool of oil is the dust abatement system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 03:34 am:

Notice all of the safety gear too! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 09:13 am:

Not only is this wwwaaaaayyyy before OSHA but I also notice very little masking. Perhaps overspray was not bad with the unit being used. Is the paint in the can on the floor and compressed air feeding it to the gun? Can't imagine what those guys inhaled each day.

Erich

Also, what is the 50-884 car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 09:20 am:

Erich,

They were using lacquer paints in those days. Lacquer dries very fast so overspray is more like dust. They would have likely wetsanded and buffed the paint after the spray had dried.

Totally unlike alkyd and acrylic enamels.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Jamison on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 09:26 pm:

I believe this is a "posed" photo, and that the guy isn't actually spraying in the photo, as the car he's aiming at has not been masked off. He'd spray right onto the seats and hardware.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 09:38 pm:

Quite possibly, as low light like this would have 'ghosted' moving people as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Jamison on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 09:46 pm:

I also think that, if we could see the walls on the left & right sides, there would be a big fan in there.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 10:24 pm:

The car in the middle is a 1921 or 1922 Studebaker Light Six. The suicide front doors give it away. A '23-'24 wouldn't have that. Front bumper & shocks were an after market accessory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Johnson on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 10:29 pm:

Tha center & right cars look sanded if you look at the high rez picture. Maybe he is just using the gun to air spray the dust off. I don't see any tack cloth anywhere. Paint in those days was probably more for corrosion protection. It doesn't seem like people washed there cars much in those days judging from other pictures I've seen. Why would they wash a car with the roads so bad.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration