Glass adhesive for window "stickers"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Glass adhesive for window "stickers"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 12:02 pm:

I have a couple reproduction window "stickers" I would like to attach to the windshield of my T and one of my A's, a "New Owners Instructions" and an "A" gas ration card from WWII. What is the best way to attach these without having to scrape them off in the future? Is there some kind of clear spray-on rubber cement?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 01:00 pm:

Wayne try this link for post it note type spray.
http://www.3mselect.co.uk/p-1042-3m-remount-spray-adhesive-repositionable-400ml. aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 03:00 pm:

Jay - thanks for the pointer. I actually found a can on Amazon which is now on its way here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 03:39 pm:

Wayne, I just use double stick tape. KB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 05:14 pm:

I think stickers like these add to the appearance of a vintage car. If you like them enough to want to put them on your windshields now, why do you imagine that in the future, they would fall out of favor enough for you to want to remove them? I have had two stickers on my 1926 coupe for 40 years and have never grown tired of them: "Coolidge for President" and "Repeal the Volsted Act". Since you like them enough now to put them on your cars, chances are, you will continue to like them in years to come, so I would go ahead and stick them on using the adhesive on the back. That way they won't be prematurely washed off by the rain or blown off while driving.

If you do decide you want to remove them, I have never seen a sticker that could not be easily removed using a new razor blade at a low angle to the glass, using a sliding stroke. That is, gradually scrape off the sticker a little at a time by gently pushing against the edge of the sticker, while, at the same time, slicing the razor blade toward you at an angle to the sticker's straight edge. I have never scratched the glass using this method but if you are worried, soapy water will make it slide even more easily. Any adhesive that remains can be removed with a solvent such as lighter fluid. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 05:58 pm:

I agree about the appearance of period stickers on a vintage car. Just trying to see if there is some kind of modern adhesive that will work yet be reversible.

I'm also considering some kind of logo for the doors on my AA Stakebed. Found a local signpainter that will do the logo on a magnetic sheet cut to fit which would allow easy application and removal. Havn't decided about that one yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 10:38 pm:

What about orange shellac for the window stickers? Brush on the glass, brush on the sticker, push onto the glass with a squeegee. Once the shellac is dry, you can flake the excess off with a razor blade. Plus, it will give the stickers a little orange hue. I also like stickers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 02:07 am:

Try the trick that I used for parking stickers when I was in college. The sticker had to be on the inside if the windshield and since I switched cars OFTEN, I would spread a piece of saran wrap and cafefully attach the sticker it it. (the sticker was self-adhesive). I would then trim the saran wrap to size, moisten the back and put it on the windshield. It would stay on until I needed to remove it to put in on another car. Its a great trick if you want to make a permanent sticker into a removable sticker.

Bill

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration