Detergent oil and cloth bands

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Detergent oil and cloth bands
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry A. Daw on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 12:42 pm:

There have been many threads on engine oil and I have read most if not all. The question still lingers with me if detergent oil has any harmfull effects on cloth bands. I would like to run some multi-grade and I know it would be ok with kevlar or wood bands but since all multi-grade oils I know of contain detergent I would appreciate input what effect it might have on cloth bands. Was it strictly an old wife's tail that claimed detergent oil was harmful to the cloth bands????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 01:00 pm:

The only way oil becomes harmful of cloth bands is when it is dirty and becomes acidic. Detergent oil will not harm any of them.

For those who have opened an engine that has sat for many years with dirty oil in it you may have noticed how the band material is so rotten you can take it off with your fingers. Had the engine been put up with clean oil those bands would likely be good.

I have on two occasions gotten T's running that have been set up for 40+ years with filthy oil. The bands were rotten and lasted less than 100 miles. Some others may have experienced the same thing and mistakenly figured the cause of band failure being the fresh oil they added but I contend it wasn't. Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 02:06 pm:

Detergent.....Cloth....it does good things in the washer....HA HA sorry but I too agree with Gary that the compounds in detergent oil should be harmless to cloth bands.

Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 07:08 pm:

I can be wrong but i think what we call detergent started out as a additave to stop band chatter?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 07:34 pm:

There is nothing in detergent oil that has any negative effect on a Model T. The bands are not going to care whether the oil is modern or not.

Most important thing to look for when choosing an oil is to buy oil that is suitable for the climate you are operating in.

For example if you live in Death Valley California, a good summer oil choice might be 20W-50, or SAE 40.

If you live in the middle of the country, say Troy Missouri for example, a good choice for Model T oil in December would be 5W-30, or SAE 20.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 03:04 pm:

Regarding band chatter... It is not caused by incorrect oils... It is mostly caused by incorrectly machined transmission drums and worn out parts. The factory machining on transmisson drums can be pretty sloppy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 07:29 pm:

Everyone has their owne thoughts as to oil but i think my T tells me the oil needs changing when my bands start to chatter.A few years ago a thread on min size of trans drums brought a print from Trent that told of a Very close tlorence to be held! Adam,If you have several NOS trans drums,what is the size and finnish varrations??Myself i always thought when Ford could sell more T's than they could build how close was the part to the print? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 02:49 pm:

I have rebuilt many transmissions and have found quite a few drums that had over .018" T.I.R. at the "band surface". Most times it takes a .010 cut to "true up" even a drum that has a good, clean surface. Drums have to be properly set up and indicated in on a large 4 jaw chuck. Most 3 jaw chucks are inaccurate and if you try it with a 3 jaw, you are likely to trash your drum.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration