Speaking of cooking.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Speaking of cooking.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 03:07 pm:

With food on my mind today and after reading the post about sex in a pan, I started thinking about a series of posts for recipies and it came to me that we have the manifold cooker accessory. What I want to hear from all of us is what recipies have you made in the manifold cooker that really worked or really didn't work.

I am after real recipies, disasters, advice and anecdotes.

I can smell the burnt food now....

Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 03:16 pm:

Erich, I don't have a manifold cooker, but many years ago I had a Dutch oven that we would take camping. The Boy Scouts have a Dutch Oven Cookbook, and I think a lot of the recipes would also work in a manifold cooker.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 03:27 pm:

I bet you are right Dick. I also know for a fact that there have been many dutch oven disasters, as well as masterpieces.

Burnt food always tastes better out camping. Out camping we eat stuff you would through out at home. Some of the best tasting meals have been out camping. Even if they didn't look so good. I am sure the manifold cooker is similar that way.

Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 04:04 pm:

PLANKED ARMADILLO

from memory...

Select a pine plank about 1x12x12.

Put seasoning to suit on the plank.

Dress an armadillo, either fresh or roadkill, and lay it on the plank.

Bake at 350 for 1.5 hours.

Toss the armadillo and eat the plank.

possum

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 04:57 pm:

Moist foods cook better than dry foods. So stew is better than baked beans . You do not need the cooker if you wrap the meat and vegetables in a lot of foil and seal it very well but the shape of the manifold is important. In the old days my mother cooked roasts on our 1928 Buick manifold but I don't remember what she wrapped the roast in. Dad would stop and she would turn it over and we would go again. We ate it when we got there. The Long Beach Model T Club is thinking about an outing where we cook along the way and stop to eat in a sort of pot-luck thing. The problem is that different things take different times and you must experiment and take notes before you subject others to your repast..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 05:30 pm:

Oh Rick, remind me to watch you cook that next time. That looks like a fresh one at the parade. Frank, I think that is so funny about cooking on the 28 Buick. I bet it takes a lot of experimenting. Sounds like a fun outing to cook on the T and see who's ends up O.K. to eat.

Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By karl v schlachter on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 05:36 pm:

I think there is a manifold cooker cook book available from the vendors

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 06:45 pm:

I have a recipe for your cooker that's very easy. Get a big package of little sizzlers (little cocktail sausages) Dump em in the cooker. Cover them with equal amounts of your favorite barbecue sauce and grape jelly. For example, If you use a cup of BBQ sauce, use a cup of grape jelly. I know it sounds weird, (grape jelly) but they are very good. We usually make them in the crock pot and let them cook all day. They are better the longer they cook because they get very firm and absorb the mixture. We usually boil them in water for a time and rinse them before putting them in the mixture (gets rid of some of the grease). Take along some tooth picks for utinsels, and a roll of shop towels for napkins and you're set.

I don't have a manifold cooker although in my younger years as a heavy equipment operator, usually stuck out in the boonies, I've eaten many cans of stew, soup, and corned beef hash cooked on the manifold of a dozer. The secret of cooking in the can was knowing when to take it off so it didn't explode.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 02:35 am:

I know about the cook book. I was just looking for some real world experiences folks have had trying to use one of the manifold cookers.

Anyone take it off the shelf and fire it up?

What worked/didn't work?

Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 02:55 am:

We used to warm up our C-rations on the aft transmission on our Chinook helicopters. They got nice and hot, but after awhile the cans started wearing down into the aluminum housing, so the Army started to frown on that practice. Sure made a nice warm meal though! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 02:55 am:

Erich,

We have tried several things in the cooker. Most come out good. We have done hot dogs, green beens and kalbasi, almond chicken, peach cobler all of those items came out good. The worst thing was baked beans, they tasted just like exhaust fumes smell. I don't know why but they were horrible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 02:57 am:

John Berch, sent you an email Sat. Did you get it? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 03:20 am:

That old Chinook....It just does everything well.

Who dont like beans that taste like exhaust? Guess I'll pass too.

Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 03:21 am:

Was the lid not closed all the way on the beans?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 03:25 am:

Yes the lid was closed, I think we just drove to far and they were a little over cooked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 03:27 am:

I finally got the picture posted on the other thread. I was trying to load to large of a file.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration